CAUGHT MY CHICKEN KILLER! *graphic*

Neither are designed to hold by the toes. They’re designed to catch behind the pad of the foot.
What’s your goal for saying you think they’re inhumane? Nobody really cares what you think. I think I’ll go set a dozen more in your honor. You might want to look into your audience a little more.
I don’t have a “goal” for saying this, and I really don’t care if you don’t care what I say. I believe that setting a trap that grabs the foot of an animal, putting it in severe pain, is not something that we should be doing to animals. I’m not an “anti trapper”. I’m not a “save the earth PETA person”. I just think that it’s wrong. I have had a raccoon attack my chickens before it was a bloody mess with “parts” everywhere. As you can imagine is was very sad and upsetting. So then we set out a foot trap. But guess what happened? One of our remaining chickens wandered into it and was cut in two. Yep. Let that sink in. So then we were more careful and set a leg trap farther away from the coop. That night, some animal got stuck in it and broke the chain and ran away with the thing still on it’s leg. It was probably eaten alive by some other animal (we live in the woods). I now use box traps and then shoot them (not the catch and release type at all) and yes, it’s completely legal where we live. You can argue all you want about this, but I won’t be replying.

I don’t have a “goal” for saying this, and I really don’t care if you don’t care what I say. I believe that setting a trap that grabs the foot of an animal, putting it in severe pain, is not something that we should be doing to animals. I’m not an “anti trapper”. I’m not a “save the earth PETA person”. I just think that it’s wrong. I have had a raccoon attack my chickens before it was a bloody mess with “parts” everywhere. As you can imagine is was very sad and upsetting. So then we set out a foot trap. But guess what happened? One of our remaining chickens wandered into it and was cut in two. Yep. Let that sink in. So then we were more careful and set a leg trap farther away from the coop. That night, some animal got stuck in it and broke the chain and ran away with the thing still on it’s leg. It was probably eaten alive by some other animal (we live in the woods). I now use box traps and then shoot them (not the catch and release type at all) and yes, it’s completely legal where we live. You can argue all you want about this, but I won’t be replying.
That’s why most states and provinces have a hunter/trapper education course. If you took the time to learn how to properly use them and used common sense those issues wouldn’t have happened.
Even a rat trap could seriously injure a chicken?! I can’t believe anyone would set a trap like that where a chicken could get into them!
Broke the chain??? Uh huh. I’ve never seen that happen yet. More like the trap wasn’t anchored properly. It sounds to me like your blaming a tool because the user didn’t know how to use it. Pretty typical. Take the time to learn how to properly set them, adjust the pan tension, anchoring etc and you wouldn’t have had those problems. Most foothold traps need a lot of adjustment before they’re ready to set.
I don’t care if you reply or not the fact remains you had no idea what you were doing. Still haven’t learned and are blaming a tool for your lack of planning. Typical.

That’s why most states and provinces have a hunter/trapper education course. If you took the time to learn how to properly use them and used common sense those issues wouldn’t have happened.
Even a rat trap could seriously injure a chicken?! I can’t believe anyone would set a trap like that where a chicken could get into them!
Broke the chain??? Uh huh. I’ve never seen that happen yet. More like the trap wasn’t anchored properly. It sounds to me like your blaming a tool because the user didn’t know how to use it. Pretty typical. Take the time to learn how to properly set them, adjust the pan tension, anchoring etc and you wouldn’t have had those problems. Most foothold traps need a lot of adjustment before they’re ready to set.
I don’t care if you reply or not the fact remains you had no idea what you were doing. Still haven’t learned and are blaming a tool for your lack of planning. Typical.
It was actually my grandfather who set the trap. He has taught some of those courses you mentioned and then worked at a store that sold traps and guns and things and was a games keeper in England for five years. I think he was highly qualified. And it wasn’t were a chicken could get too it. Our chickens are in the front yard and we put it in the woods in the back yard were we don’t allow the chickens to go.

It was actually my grandfather who set the trap. He has taught some of those courses you mentioned and then worked at a store that sold traps and guns and things and was a games keeper in England for five years. I think he was highly qualified. And it wasn’t were a chicken could get too it. Our chickens are in the front yard and we put it in the woods in the back yard were we don’t allow the chickens to go.
I don’t know what to tell you? Apparently your grandfather wasn’t as qualified as he thought huh. There’s a big difference in saying you know what you’re doing and actually knowing.
Regardless the issues you had were a result of mistakes by the person setting the trap not the trap itself. You can state your opinion all you want about whether or not your feel the trap is humane/inhumane. I know the difference and in every case it’s the person setting the traps responsibility to do it right. Problems arise when people don’t use good judgement.

It’s been my experience with possums or raccoons, if the get in your coop, your going to lose more than one bird at a time. I had a juvenile possum kill five birds before we could get to him and we could hear when the attack started. My vote would be a feral cat but who knows. Go ahead and install a game cam and some traps to see if you can identify it and catch it.
It’s been my experience with possums or raccoons, if the get in your coop, your going to lose more than one bird at a time. I had a juvenile possum kill five birds before we could get to him and we could hear when the attack started. My vote would be a feral cat but who knows. Go ahead and install a game cam and some traps to see if you can identify it and catch it.
We do have a yellow cat that roams the neighborhood. Found it in my backyard a few weeks ago. Have a trap set and left out for whatever decided to to kill our chickens.

We have new chicks and they are just about all feathered out to go in the coop . Put a new latch on and tightened up the roof . We didn’t catch anymore raccoons other than the one . Hopefully my chicks will be safe

dig proof border, raccoon-proof coop latches/locks, and electric fence perimeter......varies per set-up....but that’s main components to ensuring safety
We are not allowed to kill raccoons where I live--they have to be relocated. So, I buried my fence approximately 4" and also put fencing over top of my run. So far that has kept the racoons, hawks, and falcon away from my chicks. The only time they free range is when I'm outside with them.

Back
Top Bottom