Caught my egg thief on my game cam

crj

Songster
10 Years
Dec 17, 2009
Rocky Point, NC
I thought it was my daughters dog stealing my goose eggs. Come to find out it's a fox! I checked the coop again and no eggs. No wonder why my goose came to me so sad. This is the saddest I've seen her. I collected only 2 eggs because I thought I found the problem but boy was I wrong. I will post pictures tomorrow.

My question now is....... Do I block the entrance to this coop at night so the fox doesn't steal anymore eggs? Do I shoot the fox that is stealing and eating the eggs? Do I catch the fox and transport him somplace else?

My concern is for my other birds. Most of my birds are penned up at night. I say most because the turkeys and guineas roost up rather high in a tree or on a pen. I don't have the duck coop base very secure and wonder if he will get in the pen. Normally I have a dog that likes to stay outside but we are having a cold snap and she is coming in at night. Common sense tells me to fix the fence first thing tomorrow. I have some logs I can place around the pen.

I definitely need a solution to this problem. I will post pictures soon.

Oh, I also wanted to mention that the coop my goose is laying eggs in is not in a pen. So it's not a secure place. At night my ducks, geese, etc. go into secure pens and coops.

Last edited:
Shoot it. It's too big of a risk to your birds. I don't think logs placed at the bottom is going to keep him out either. It really needs to be gravel sunk down around the bottom of the fence. Remember smart as a fox
wink.png
And Unless you have removed the goose from the pen I wouldn't wait to fix that fence.

X2....It will only get bolder and either eat a bird or attack your dog if it becomes rabid. Think of your family and pets safety.

Do something, and soon!
I suggest:
1 Do I block the entrance to this coop at night so the fox doesn't steal anymore eggs? Yes, a.s.a.p., as a first line of defense! Then work on securing any other area that is not predator-proof.
2 Do I catch the fox and transport him somplace else? Yes, if that is an option for you. Maybe call your state DEP or county extension agent to find out where to bring him.
3 Do I shoot the fox that is stealing and eating the eggs? As for me, I don't have a gun, (much to the relief of a certain dog owner, raccoon, and 'possum, I'd bet
wink.png
) but you seem comfortable with one, so go for it. I wouldn't know how to dispose of it...

My concern is for my other birds. So is mine, now. If it's taking eggs, it may work up to killing your various birds--especially now,with the cold weather finally here for sure (harder to get other sources of food).

It won't be back tonight because I believe it came last night about midnight. It hasn't been coming everynight. Darn I wish it was warmer. It's a bad time for this cold snap to come through
th.gif
. Man, like I don't have enough things going on
barnie.gif

Yep, I have to do something and do it fast but can't do anything tonight.

Back
Top Bottom