Caught my egg thief on my game cam

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by crj, Jan 4, 2012.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I thought it was my daughters dog stealing my goose eggs. Come to find out it's a fox! I checked the coop again and no eggs. No wonder why my goose came to me so sad. This is the saddest I've seen her. I collected only 2 eggs because I thought I found the problem but boy was I wrong. I will post pictures tomorrow.

My question now is....... Do I block the entrance to this coop at night so the fox doesn't steal anymore eggs? Do I shoot the fox that is stealing and eating the eggs? Do I catch the fox and transport him somplace else?

My concern is for my other birds. Most of my birds are penned up at night. I say most because the turkeys and guineas roost up rather high in a tree or on a pen. I don't have the duck coop base very secure and wonder if he will get in the pen. Normally I have a dog that likes to stay outside but we are having a cold snap and she is coming in at night. Common sense tells me to fix the fence first thing tomorrow. I have some logs I can place around the pen.

I definitely need a solution to this problem. I will post pictures soon.

Oh, I also wanted to mention that the coop my goose is laying eggs in is not in a pen. So it's not a secure place. At night my ducks, geese, etc. go into secure pens and coops.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  2. Shireshome

Shireshome Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Shoot it. It's too big of a risk to your birds. I don't think logs placed at the bottom is going to keep him out either. It really needs to be gravel sunk down around the bottom of the fence. Remember smart as a fox [​IMG] And Unless you have removed the goose from the pen I wouldn't wait to fix that fence.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Eliminate the fox before it moves on to your birds.

4. weimanator

weimanator Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    VA
    X2....It will only get bolder and either eat a bird or attack your dog if it becomes rabid. Think of your family and pets safety.

5. Or take eggs and remove the yolk and fill it with like salt, foxes are extremely smart so he would learn soon. Thats what I would do but I love foxes so I wouldn't want to kill it but its up to you

6. Nic&Chickies

Nic&Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    New Britain, CT
    Do something, and soon!
    I suggest:
    1 Do I block the entrance to this coop at night so the fox doesn't steal anymore eggs? Yes, a.s.a.p., as a first line of defense! Then work on securing any other area that is not predator-proof.
    2 Do I catch the fox and transport him somplace else? Yes, if that is an option for you. Maybe call your state DEP or county extension agent to find out where to bring him.
    3 Do I shoot the fox that is stealing and eating the eggs? As for me, I don't have a gun, (much to the relief of a certain dog owner, raccoon, and 'possum, I'd bet [​IMG]) but you seem comfortable with one, so go for it. I wouldn't know how to dispose of it...

My concern is for my other birds. So is mine, now. If it's taking eggs, it may work up to killing your various birds--especially now,with the cold weather finally here for sure (harder to get other sources of food).

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Quote:

8. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    It won't be back tonight because I believe it came last night about midnight. It hasn't been coming everynight. Darn I wish it was warmer. It's a bad time for this cold snap to come through [​IMG] . Man, like I don't have enough things going on [​IMG]

Yep, I have to do something and do it fast but can't do anything tonight.

9. Quote:He already knows every single bird you have. If you think you can win by fixing things, your wrong....you'll fight him until you have no more birds left. He will come back every time you make a repair and find a new way in. He will get you caught in a viscous circle and he will win

10. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

SSS If you value your birds get up off your @$$ and do it. He will be back again and again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by