Caught my hen chowing down on dog poop

You might find the video Justin Rhodes did a few years back pretty interesting. The title is something like guy feeds 300 chickens without grain... Iā€™m not very knowledgeable on the subject. But basically a big part of what chickens should/could be feeding on is microbes.

The secret ingredient that makes free range eggs taste so much better. Enjoy.
Excellent reply. What makes the yolks extraordinarily orange? the poop inside the insects they eat. Are other animals into it? Yes, most omnivores. Pigs really favor fresh manure, bother nearby cows for fresh meals (don't ask), and can live and thrive solely out of fresh manure. Crows/ravens too, and of course any large predator, because after each kill they go straight for the gut.

Which brings me to chickens. If you had rabbit cages you would have known, because the chickens spend an inordinate amount of time under them, waiting for godly pellets to fall from the sky. So you can fight nature (preview: you will not win), or relax and enjoy the orange yolks. Poop is full of vitamins, enzymes, probiotics, prebiotics, and readily available minerals. Hunter gatherers ate their fair share, and had beautiful health. I am very conscious of that, and eat a lot of mixed sauerkrauts trying to imitate them.

Back
Top Bottom