Caught neighbor's dog killing my birds!!! Neighbor denies everything!

People like the one you dealt with are simply creeps. I've taken dogs that were run over from the side of the road, put them in my car's trunk, and driven them to the vet for treatment. Without fail, I've always had to find a home for them too because when I learned who the owner was, called them, the owners denied being the owner. Duh, the first clue that the owner gives a rat's tail is that the dog is running loose where it can be run over.

It's the owner's fault, not your fault, that the dog has to be put down. You just happened to be the one who delivered the dog into the hands of the pound because you decided to be more adult than the owner and take care of business. The owner was probably worried he was going to go to jail over the situation (some people get bizarre ideas into their heads).

Just a question for you to consider... What are you planning to do to reinforce your coop and run so that this doesn't happen to you again? If a dog can get your birds, so can a coyote, a fox, etc. etc. etc.

Some food for thought about using a .22,,,unless you can shoot a large canine in the head, it will take a while to die.

Many deer and antelope are only 125 lbs or less and no sane person would hunt either with a .22, not to mention it is illegal for good reason.

My point is if you have anything larger than a raccoon that may need stopped in it's tracks and all you have is a .22. Some serious thought is needed on an upgrade,
because it takes SSS away as an option, there is no doubt in my mind after shooting a large dog in the body, with a .22, it will run a few hundred yards, home most likely, we can all guess what headaches that can cause.

One big boom draws less attention than a yelping pest running thru a few yards and laying on the porch.

Anyways, I'm happy to hear your trouble is gone.

I wouldn't feel bad about having to call animal control on a pit or pit mix. Some dingbat in our area is breeding pits with presa canarios!
ep.gif

I can only imagine how dangerous those dogs could be if they got in the wrong hands.

The dog that killed your birds is obviously dangerous to animals and probably to people too. Don't feel bad, his owners NEED to be beaten with a broom handle.
gig.gif
I'm really sorry that all this happened to you.

Quote:
sad.png
I'm afraid I have had WAY too much practice with the 22 over the last seven years. I'm quite aware of where to place the shot. I start with bird shot to deter the trespassing dog from it's interest in our livestock. If the dog is actually attacking our animals, I never hesitate to kill it.
As for the rare misplaced shot that sends a dog yelping all the way home, I don't care. I consider it aversion therapy at it's best. I don't like to see the dog suffer, but it is a great warning to both dog and owner.
I have always contacted the dog owner after the first time I find their dog showing too much interest in our creatures.
Quite often they choose to ignore the warning. Then it's just a matter of catching the dog in the act. Harder than you'd think, once a dog starts killing, it's hunting instincts really kick in.

Quote:
Just to clarify, no breed of dog is inherently dangerous just because of the breed. It is the owners responsibility to train the dog right no matter what breed it is. The only thing bad about a pitbull is it's immense popularity. I have been breeding and showing pitbulls for many years and I can tell you from experience that they are often the best behaved breed of dogs at the show.
Breeds of dogs are no different than races in people. Stereotyping breeds of dogs is no different than stereotyping races of people. "Doggie racism" if you will. Anyway, just thought I would give my honest opinion, that is based on YEARS of experience.

That wasn't directed at you personally, only food for thought for those that don't pratice and own one that might think just because it goes bang things fall over dead.

I am so glad our dog is a good listener. She learned very early on that you don't mess with the guinea pigs, rabbits, chickens or any other pets. She really knows the difference between off limits and free to chase. When we started letting our chickens out we were worried that the neighbor's dog would attack them since she is over here half the time anyway. Fortunately though they moved.

Quote:
Just to clarify, no breed of dog is inherently dangerous just because of the breed. It is the owners responsibility to train the dog right no matter what breed it is. The only thing bad about a pitbull is it's immense popularity. I have been breeding and showing pitbulls for many years and I can tell you from experience that they are often the best behaved breed of dogs at the show.
Breeds of dogs are no different than races in people. Stereotyping breeds of dogs is no different than stereotyping races of people. "Doggie racism" if you will. Anyway, just thought I would give my honest opinion, that is based on YEARS of experience.

Kyle, you are probably correct. However, in my experience people don't breed pit bulls to other 'bully' breeds for benign reasons. There are waaay too many ineffectual people out there who would cherish having a large, muscular, usually untrained - or trained to do anti social things - dog to give them a false sense of self esteem. Sadly too many people don't know their inherent value and force beautiful, noble dogs into roles that can only lead to disaster. JMH observations.

Back
Top Bottom