Caught!

SSS? Whoa! That cat could be some little kid's pet! I wouldn't do anything like that...... I have two cats myself, and it is extremely hard to keep them inside. It doesn't help that I have three little kids who don't shut the door quickly behind them when they go in and out. I especially wouldn't give the cat a bath in paint thinner to make a new stripe. THAT is just plain mean. My little cousins did that to a cat once and the poor thing ended up losing all of its hair and dying. Not cool. You could tie a little note to a makeshift collar before turning the cat free, add some more paint in a different color, or keep a squirt gun or hose handy and just squirt the cat with cold water every time you see it. If nothing works just take it to a shelter and let the owners pay a nice fee to get the cat back!

Last edited:
Quote:
Are you sure it has owners? As far as SSS and if it's someone little kid's pet - sadly, that's what happens when Kitty gets out and is allowed to run the neighborhood. It's a sad, hard lesson, but eventually one needs to learn it. I agree that the paint thinner would be cruel. You're going to have to do what you feel is right. Maybe start feeding it and have a new pet? It can help keep the rodent population down. If you have chickens and feed, you could have mice...

Quote:
i wouldnt take it to a shelter to pay. the owner might not could pay to get it back. i understand your grief though. i would go around a check for owner too or keep a watch out for it. i agree with the other post you could use a squirt gune one of the big ones.

Last edited:
i have had problems with cats here. There are some cats that just come hang around looking for mice, usually in the evening and early morning. That's fine, rock on. But i had a neighbor's cat (two actually, but one was worse) who insisted on being all around the pens, on top of the pens, in the duck pen when i had the door open for them to come up on the patio. i talked to the neighbors repeatedly, to no avail. i got tired of my birds being frightened all the time, and one even injured herself running in fear. So, i took the cat to Animal Control, after finding it yet again in our duck coop. i made sure AC had the owner's contact information, as i did not want harm to come to her. Since that time, the neighbors keep their cats inside.

i love cats and would never want to harm one. If you don't want to try to look for the owners, then a note on it's collar should convince the owners to keep her inside. Good luck!

Wondered where my cat got to. Sorry bout that.
barnie.gif

I would definitely communicate with the owner.

I feel your frustration. I can also relate to cat owners who let their cats run. Before I was a chicken owner, I never would have imagined a cat might harm someone else's animals. It's pretty common practice for people to let cats roam, so I can see how someone might never consider it could be a problem for someone else.

I hope that you will try to contact the owner--either directly or through a note on a collar. (Though cats are super-good at removing collars if they want.)
I also think that taking the cat to a shelter is reasonable. If it is someone's cherished pet, that might cause them to re-think letting it run loose.

Have you seen magnetic pet doors that only open for an animal wearing the matching collar? Might be worthwhile to add some peace of mind (but still let your dog come and go).

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom