Caulk to deter mites in new wood coop?

AnnPann

Songster
Jun 29, 2022
Kansas
I've primed + 2 coats of paint every surface, even the cut ends that aren't visible (all painting was done before assembly). Is there any benefit to caulking the seams in terms of mite deterrence? Coop will be 66 sq ft inside + covered run is 200 sq ft (+ extra fenced area in nicer weather). 14 hens max.

Do I need to worry about mites enough to spend this week caulking the seems? Or will that not do much (other than make me hate life)?

Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 4.33.13 PM.png

I've primed + 2 coats of paint every surface, even the cut ends that aren't visible (all painting was done before assembly). Is there any benefit to caulking the seams in terms of mite deterrence? Coop will be 66 sq ft inside + covered run is 200 sq ft (+ extra fenced area in nicer weather). 14 hens max.

Do I need to worry about mites enough to spend this week caulking the seems? Or will that not do much (other than make me hate life)?

View attachment 3278628
I don't think so. There is also the risk, albeit small that the chickens may peck at the caulk. In my view it's better to leave the gaps open so that if and when mites move in any treatments can be sprayed/painted into the gaps. Caulking is fine when it's new and often looks like there is a full seal. A few months down the road and thermal expansion and contraction and any humidity brought in by say damp chickens is likely to make the wood move around and break the caulk seal.

I don't think so. There is also the risk, albeit small that the chickens may peck at the caulk. In my view it's better to leave the gaps open so that if and when mites move in any treatments can be sprayed/painted into the gaps. Caulking is fine when it's new and often looks like there is a full seal. A few months down the road and thermal expansion and contraction and any humidity brought in by say damp chickens is likely to make the wood move around and break the caulk seal.
This is excellent explanation - thank you! I have not heard this reasoning before, but definitely helps with the decision (no caulk!) I’d rather be able to treat easier it if if happens!

Back
Top Bottom