Cayenne pepper in quail feed?

MrModina

Chirping
Oct 2, 2019
I recently saw a post where someone put cayenne pepper in their chicken's feed in order to help them stay warm in the cold weather. I was wondering if anyone has had any experiece with this or knows if it is toxic for quail. I've searched the internet and can't find anything directly related to it. Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I haven't tried that. It doesn't sound like a good experiment to me. I give mine some mealworms when it gets really cold. They're high in protein and fat, so good for an energy boost to help them stay warm.
I give mine extra mealworms, scratch, and vegetables.

I recently saw a post where someone put cayenne pepper in their chicken's feed in order to help them stay warm in the cold weather. I was wondering if anyone has had any experiece with this or knows if it is toxic for quail. I've searched the internet and can't find anything directly related to it. Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Quail and chickens are kept warm by thermogenesis and their feathers insulate them like a down blanket. Thermogenesis is a side effect of metabolizing energy (calories). Chickens run about 105 to 107 degrees F, body temperature.

Cayenne pepper will not benefit them in MY opinion. If in the ground form.. anything can be toxic if inhaled. In the crushed form.. I think quantity still matters.. *too* much of anything could surely be harmful.. in this case possibly cause burns despite not having capsaicin receptors?? Also, the crushed form would likely stay in the gizzard longer to be ground down so maybe have more benefit than ground IF there were any to be had.

A teaspoon of cayenne has around 6 calories according to the following link..

https://www.nutritionvalue.org/Spices,_red_or_cayenne,_pepper_nutritional_value.html

Although, I express concern about internal burns.. there are some products made for wild birdseed as a rodent repellent..
51bm5s9yn-L.jpg

I have heard of people putting it in the water but idk about the food. I have never done this but try it if you want to!
People do all kinds of stuff.. but chili's are not water soluble.. they are fat soluble.. water and fat don't mix well.. So mixing it in food *may* be a better choice! :)

http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey....nne pepper, on,stick together with each other.

I mix cayenne pepper in withbmy girls feed... sometimes I give it to my quail as well. So far, no problems! The cayenne actually seems to boost productivity and helps give the yolks that gorgeous orangey color 😀

Capsaicin is good for you and birds. Quail make so much dust I don't think I would worry too much about pepper dust.
It can help with parasites and inflammation in both you and the birds so share a spoon full.
I used to use a Capsaicin nose spray for headaches.

Back
Top Bottom