Cayenne pepper

Guinealand

Chirping
Sep 30, 2019
I am wanting to try to use cayenne pepper as a vole deterrent. I know that chickens aren't affected by capsaicin and wanted to check if it affects guineas.

I am wanting to try to use cayenne pepper as a vole deterrent. I know that chickens aren't affected by capsaicin and wanted to check if it affects guineas.
Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Please note.. no having capsaicin receptors on the tongue is NOT the same as not being effected.

I also don't have those receptors on my hand but have experience skin burns from handling peppers similar to touching the stove or sunburn.. Rub your eyes EVEN after washing your hands and hours have past.. burn baby burn! Dare I say eyes and skin.. even lungs COULD be effected no matter what species we are discussing and their capsaicin receptors. I cough and feel weird in my throat when my hubby cooks peppers so usually tries to be kind enough to do so outside.. in fact folks living near the Siracha plant filed lawsuits to have the condition managed.

Ever eat too many peppers.. have your tongue and lips be burning with a pleasant tingly sensation.. but experience their fiery exit? And why do anuses have those receptors anyways! :oops:

Chickens (or guineas/animals) very often are not able to communicate to us how things might be effecting them.. so we can only go with the information we do have available to us.

In my over thinking mind.. there are too many minuses to using peppers after the possible effects I've come up with so far... BUT.. not matter what situation we face.. it's ALWAYS the lesser of the evils.. Without knowing what exactly you're facing or what options are available, already tried correctly but failed, never considered etc.. I don't know if the pepper may still be a good choice for you or not.. But I'm glad we have a community where we can discuss the inner workings of animal keeping and it's challenges!

Best wishes keeping the suckers at bay and birds safe! :fl

I doubt that it does. @R2elk any input ?
No. I doubt that it will affect the guineas. Some people use cayenne to try to ward off blackhead in turkeys. I tried it for repelling deer with so, so results.

The thing that I use as vole control is the rat & mouse bait blocks. I drop them into the burrows or tunnels. Pretty soon the voles are no longer a problem.

Back
Top Bottom