Cayuga Ducklings with Helmets?

AllCoop'dUp

Songster
11 Years
May 12, 2010
Creswell, Oregon
I ordered a pair of ducklings from the local farm store and while they are certainly all black like my older Cayuga ducklings, these two definately have helments. One more so than the other. I'm a first time duck owner so while I'm fresh into the pool, nothing I read or saw indicated that Cayugas have helments. Will try to post pics if necessary for identification. What's the overall concensus?? Are these really Cayugas?

Last edited:
I have seen Crested Cayugas advertised on some hatchery sites. Here is one:
https://secuservices.com/ideal/newideal/selectproduct.aspx?qty=1&ID=CAYCD&Product=142

Very cute duckling, btw.
smile.png

Haha I was thinking about that when I was typing that...lets just say all domestic breeds. Well mandarins do have a streamlined "crest" but not a big poof!

I say very cool and unexpected!...so...what about the duckling with a slight poof and tinge of red on it's coat? Will it just be a half crested head? and what will happen to the red, go away? Thanks!

I dont really see a red tinge, but if they are pure cayuga, it will go away. Also, if he/she has a little crest, it will stay little and not get as big as the others.

The red tinge is right above it's bill, between the eyes on the darker colored picture.

Also...at what age does the curl appear if they turn out to be drakes?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom