Cayuga egg production

Mlmcalister75

In the Brooder
Nov 26, 2020
Hello, I have an 8 month old Cayuga that started laying in early December. I was told that she would only lay between 100-150 eggs per year, but in the past 2.5 months she’s only missed laying one day.... and we are at about 75 and eggs so far. My Golden 300 lays about the same. I do use artificial light for a total of about 17 hours of light.

I’m trying to understand if she is going to lay continuously for a few months and then stop, or if she is just a good layer? Basically, can anyone tell me the laying pattern of Cayuga’s?

She will take breaks sometimes. My ducks lay steadily until they take a break - usually during fall and winter. With no artificial lighting, I have not gotten a single duck egg all winter. I used to use a heat lamp, but even with the extra light, they took breaks as needed. But when they are laying, the younger ones lay every day, or close to that. My Cayugas began laying about the same amount as my Golden 300s, but after a couple years slowed down a bit. However, this may just be individual strains. That being said, they are still excellent layers, and very healthy and hardy ducks.
I don't know if you have chickens, but for comparison, my ducks seem to lay all at once, then nothing at all - versus my chickens, which lay more unpredictably, especially with age. Hope that helps.

My Cayuga ducks do not lay eggs through the winter. I do not supplement their light. I figure they need all their energy to stay warm during the winter months, and deserve a break from egg laying.
They will start back up in the spring and lay me an egg every day through summer and fall. Sometimes they will take a short break while they are in molt.

Back
Top Bottom