Cayuga feathers iced over

Hello, we’re new duck owners, our 4 Cayugas are 7 months old (3 hens and one drake). Today it has dipped to -20 F for the first time, and while 3 of them are fine, one of our girls (Inca) is all ice covered. I’ve read all the threads I can find on it and I still don’t know what to do. Yesterday it was -10 and sunny and they acted like it wasn’t even cold. They did seem to be picking on Inca though, ostracizing her.

I don’t know what to do. Some places say they’ll be fine, others say bring them in and warm them up till the ice falls off, others say don’t bring them in because going back outside when it’s so cold will be such a shock. Aaaahhh. Any advice? Right now she’s preening in the sun by herself while the others are over eating and drinking (before yesterday they moved as one).
Looks like the dumby went for a swim. (My rouens do that from time to time, my cayugas wont tho). Can you find an area that wont be TOO warm for them such as a garage, shed or barn that is at least semi inclosed keep them warm and that them out? Alternatively if you can devise a way to get them water that they CANT SWIM IN might be a good idea when its that cold. I am not sure how to do that however since mine will try to climb in just about.anything. I understand the fear of cold/temp shock but at -20 i worry about frost bite in my sweet ones (mine are in the garage where it is about 40 degrees.) Ducks are pretty hardy but i think -20 is a bit much

Their only water is a heated dog dish for their water bowl! I’m going to cover half of it with a board to see if that cuts down on splashing.

I researched cayugas before we got them and everything I read said they should be fine at these temps as long as they have a place to get out of the wind and lots of straw to snuggle in. They free range in our yard during the day and are closed in their coop at night. We’ll see how they are tomorrow though!

Looks like the dumby went for a swim. (My rouens do that from time to time, my cayugas wont tho). Can you find an area that wont be TOO warm for them such as a garage, shed or barn that is at least semi inclosed keep them warm and that them out? Alternatively if you can devise a way to get them water that they CANT SWIM IN might be a good idea when its that cold. I am not sure how to do that however since mine will try to climb in just about.anything. I understand the fear of cold/temp shock but at -20 i worry about frost bite in my sweet ones (mine are in the garage where it is about 40 degrees.) Ducks are pretty hardy but i think -20 is a bit much
Oh and in case you didn’t see my update earlier in the thread, we did bring her in the garage and she thawed out pretty fast. I’m wondering if she’ll just ice up again tomorrow though.

Sounds like her feathers aren’t very water proof if she’s the only one doing the icing. Another reason to keep her out of water. I have heated buckets and I have to cover half to keep mine from climbing in.

Well I covered the bowl halfway, but now they won’t go near it. And I worry with it still being -17, isn’t water even more important now? Maybe I’ll take it off until it warms up in a few days. At least I know what to do now if she ices over again, I guess!

Last edited:
It’s still pretty cold, but no more icing up! I wonder if she tried to splash water on herself that morning and it froze quickly because it was so cold, and then she just kept doing it more and more trying to get it off... However it happened, the water is half covered now and no more icicles on ducks!

Back
Top Bottom