Cayuga feathers iced over

Michelin

Chirping
Feb 7, 2021
Hello, we’re new duck owners, our 4 Cayugas are 7 months old (3 hens and one drake). Today it has dipped to -20 F for the first time, and while 3 of them are fine, one of our girls (Inca) is all ice covered. I’ve read all the threads I can find on it and I still don’t know what to do. Yesterday it was -10 and sunny and they acted like it wasn’t even cold. They did seem to be picking on Inca though, ostracizing her.

I don’t know what to do. Some places say they’ll be fine, others say bring them in and warm them up till the ice falls off, others say don’t bring them in because going back outside when it’s so cold will be such a shock. Aaaahhh. Any advice? Right now she’s preening in the sun by herself while the others are over eating and drinking (before yesterday they moved as one).

Attachments

• 3EDD25BC-FA5C-4701-AAA5-6504F1FC2910.jpeg
    3EDD25BC-FA5C-4701-AAA5-6504F1FC2910.jpeg
    782.1 KB · Views: 13
It’s still pretty cold, but no more icing up! I wonder if she tried to splash water on herself that morning and it froze quickly because it was so cold, and then she just kept doing it more and more trying to get it off... However it happened, the water is half covered now and no more icicles on ducks!

I don’t know what to do. Some places say they’ll be fine, others say bring them in and warm them up till the ice falls off, others say don’t bring them in because going back outside when it’s so cold will be such a shock. Aaaahhh. Any advice? Right now she’s preening in the sun by herself while the others are over eating and drinking (before yesterday they moved as one).

Animals often know what they need, so her sitting in the sun might be the best thing right now.

Is it possible to set up a heat lamp for a few hours?
I mean just in their coop or even out in their run, not anywhere unfamiliar to her, and not enclosed in a small space.
That way she could have the choice of sitting somewhere warmer for a bit, but would not be forced to. And if she does want to sit and warm up, she could move away just as soon as she is warm enough, and would not get uncomfortably hot.

Good idea! I turned on our garage heater since it was below freezing and brought her and a friend in, and within 30 minutes almost all the ice is gone! I turned off the heater now and will leave them awhile longer to cool off again, then put them in the coop for the night. I wonder if she just loves sponge baths so much and it was so cold it froze right away? I guess we’ll see tomorrow if it happens again.

Their only water is a heated dog dish for their water bowl! I’m going to cover half of it with a board to see if that cuts down on splashing.

I researched cayugas before we got them and everything I read said they should be fine at these temps as long as they have a place to get out of the wind and lots of straw to snuggle in. They free range in our yard during the day and are closed in their coop at night. We’ll see how they are tomorrow though!

Well I covered the bowl halfway, but now they won’t go near it. And I worry with it still being -17, isn’t water even more important now? Maybe I’ll take it off until it warms up in a few days. At least I know what to do now if she ices over again, I guess!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom