Cayuga or Welsh Harlequin

james408

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 25, 2010
Hello I was interested in getting a pair of ducks (preferably two females) and I wasn't sure which breed was better suited for me, a Cayuga or a Welsh Harlequin. I live in a residential area and I'm looking for ducks that would also be friendly backyard pets.

If raised as ducklings, which ones tend to be more tame and possibly able to be handled, a Cayuga or a Welsh Harlequin?

What are personality trends that are common in each breed?

Can either one fly?

Which one tends to be more quiet? Will the females of eather breed wake up the neighboors in a residential area?

How big do they get as adults?

The only real predators in my area are neighborhood cats and crows. Based on size, will either of this be a threat during the day time, not when penned up?

Which one is a better egg-layer?

What are some other factors that might make one better than the other?

Thanks for your response!

Hi, i just got some WH and i love them, im really tired, so i wont say much, but the WH cant fly, they are a medium sized breed, they are very fiendly, they can be loud, but usually arent (i live in a residential place too) WH lay from 300-360 eggs a year (im pretty sure correct me if im wrong) and i think that cayugas aare very pretty, but WH are stunning, and they have so many different features like all other ducks, thats cool that your getting into ducks, by the time your experienced (unlike me) you will have a lot more than 2 ducks!! duck math!!
lau.gif

1. Its pretty much whichever is more pleasing to look at in your opinion....they are very similar other than color/pattern

2. I would say Cayuga (but it all depends on the individual ducks....it varies very little between breeds), IME

3. If they are imprinted on you, they will be very friendly-let you pick them uo etc. but if not they may be tolerant of you but you probably would have to chase them around a whole lot to be able to touch them
roll.png

4. They aren't supposed to be able to and mine can't go more than 3" off the ground (definetly not getting over any fences) but there are some stories of actual flight in domestic ducks.

5. A female of either breed will wake up the neighbors if they want something
tongue.png
. Overall Cayugas tend to be a bit quieter...

6. Both get about 5-7 lbs.

7. Most likely not cats and crows (unless they are still ducklings) but you most likely have raccoons in the area and don't know it....

8. WH are much better egg layers as long as you get a good strain (not hatchery WH)

9. IMO WH are MUCH prettier ducks.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=124541 scroll down a bit for pics and also kinda skim through the first few pages for pics

You will have LOTS of fun raising ducks!
big_smile.png
I live in a semi residential-ish neighborhood (we have a 1.5 acre lot) and the neighbors don't complain about the ducks as long as we promise to give them some eggs when they start laying (any day now...)

ETA:
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
My experience is with the Harlequins, I don't know much for sure about Cayugas, except they seem to get a little larger than WH.

Some things I find interesting about WH besides their great egg laying ability is that about one in three (in my limited experience) will go broody. Then, when the ducklings are hatched, you can tell apart the males and females just by their bill colors for at least a day, often longer. That gives you a chance to band them so you can keep track. Knowing a ducklings sex is enormously helpful.
WH are also known to be one of the better foragers.
My WH are usually quiet, at least compared with my runner and the khaki campbells I have had. Once in a while they start yelling about something, like if some of the flock is wandering around the yard and looses sight of the rest of the flock. They start quacking and then find each other and have a big, happy, chattering reunion. I have had a few young hens who were extremely opinionated about the complications that result from managing two sometimes intermingeling flocks, which most ducks wouldn't have to put up with. I recently sold a beautiful duck who was the oldest in my younger flock, and so the most protective. When the older flock would start intimidating the younger flock she would get between them and start yelling, . . . er, I mean quacking. But if I separated the older flock into a different section of the yard she would become upset because she had a big crush on the handsome young drake in the older flock. I needed to reduce the number of ducks I had and reluctantly sold her. Whichever breed of duck you get you will notice little soap operas happening in your backyard all the time. I really enjoy it!

I have heard some people say Cayugas are calmer, that some do lay really well, and some go broody. It really depends on the individual, the strain, the flock dynamics, etc. But if you want a good layer I would lay odds on the WH.

My cayugan was one of the best layers I've ever had (maybe she was an exception... I don't know) of beautiful green eggs. Also one of the quietest. Whatever you do, DON'T get jumbo pekins if you want quiet ducks! Wow, they're loud!

Wow, thanks guy
smile.png
you were all of great help!

Does anyone know if Cayugas and WH can interbreed?

I have both and love them. I will answer your questions based on my experience, but I also think ducks are like dogs (as in while the breed tendency is one thing, each idnividual has it's own pesonality).

If raised as ducklings, which ones tend to be more tame and possibly able to be handled, a Cayuga or a Welsh Harlequin?

I had 2cayugas and still have 2 wh. My one cayuga that we lost was amazingly sweet and would cuddle up with my daughter. Our other cayuga is a big bully who thinks she's a drake. Overall, I would say Cayugas are more easily handled but the one I have left is definitely not so.

Can either one fly?
The WH can fly low, they don't really fly but kinda hover but the Cayugas are too large to fly at all.

Which one tends to be more quiet? Will the females of eather breed wake up the neighboors in a residential area?
My Cayugas are LOUD! It could be because she is the protector, but even when my WH decide to quack (which is rare) I can barely hear them compared to the Cayuga who likes to quack a lot.

How big do they get as adults?
The Cayugas are noticeably larger than the WH. I think WH are considered medium or lightweight while Cayugas are Large.

The only real predators in my area are neighborhood cats and crows. Based on size, will either of this be a threat during the day time, not when penned up?
Neither of these should pose a threat to the ducks this size. While I've heard it is possible, they have never bothered with mine. The Cayugas are also large enough that they will scare off my 25 lbs dog when she is getting too close! ha ha

Which one is a better egg-layer?
WH hands down. Since they started laying in September, I have been getting egg a day consistently while my Cayuga has yet to lay her first egg.

What are some other factors that might make one better than the other?
It is hard for me to say, based on the sweetie we had I would say Cayugas are the way to go! But then there's my loudmouth bullybutt. As far as beauty goes, WH are amazing, they do seem to be a bit more skiddish. Even when my WH do allow us to hold them they shiver a lot and it's obvious they don't feel secure with it.

Good luck! Great choice in birds! They are the 2 I settled on and I don't regret it, I love them. <3 I just wish the one Cayuga was a little more quiet.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom