Cayugas and egg laying

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by savingdogs, Jul 10, 2010.

1. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

How old are cayugas when they begin egg laying?

Where should I set up for them to lay? I've heard putting hay inside old tires works well, is that true?

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Just be careful with the old tyres... I have been told eggs can often end up inside the tyre rather than in the middle of the hay- and especially if you have a broody- if its forgotten- can explode and mess up the whole nest. I f you are collecting daily- make sure you check all the way around the inside of the tyre.

As far as laying- My friend who has them here say they are more seasonal type layers- than year rounders like some breeds tend to be- You may be waiting until next spring before you see eggs- but it will depend alot on the climate and weather where you live.

3. rgn87

rgn87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Georgia
    One of my cayuga Hens is 5 months old, and began laying lastweek

4. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

What is your climate and weather like in Georgia? We are usually wet and mild with a cold snowy winter, hot brief summer.

5. rgn87

rgn87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Georgia
    It's pretty hot down here, usually hot from may to Sept., then our fall and spring our mild, and our not very cold. I have three hens all the same age, and only one is laying, or at least laying where I can find the eggs. I hope that helps. How many Cayugas do you have? I have five, two drakes and three females.

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I found mine to be highly seasonal and very sporadic layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by