CD&T shots???

lozeaujo

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2017
Can someone please help walk me through what I need to do with my baby goats and their CDT shots? I bought the stuff to give them their shots, but am unsure if I need to give it to them in a certain spot? Or does it have to go all the way into a muscle? Or a vein?
Also, they are a couple of weeks old and have had no shots as of yet. Should I wait until they are one month old? Or give it to them now?
Thanks so much for any advice!
I have learned so much from you all already...
thanks
lorane

OK. Give the CD/T shots under the skin right in front of the shoulder. Just slop some alcohol on the site and slide the needle in just under the skin. It is hard the first time, but it gets a lot easier with practice. Give your kids their first shot now and then another in about four weeks. After that they will just need an annual booster.

I gave my kids their first shot the day the were born and then one every three or four weeks until they were about three months old. Entero was so prevalent in the area of California where I lived that it was unwise to wait.

According to the vets at UC Davis, all shots for goats, except those to be given IV, should be given under the skin, not in the muscle no matter what the label says. By giving injections under the skin you are far less likely to get it into a vein by accident or injure a nerve.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom