Cecal worm found in fecal

melofarms

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2015
Hello,

I raise chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, guineas, etc... all together on my farm. I've been doing a lot of research and have started using garlic / cayenne pepper in their feed plus ACV in water. However, before doing so, a fecal sample from my chickens tested positive for cecal worms. (I know raising chickens with turkeys is risky because of this protozoan carrier). My vet had me purchase Safeguard (for goats) to use 1 dose of 3ml per gallon of water for my flock. I purchased it, but now hesitant. No one is showing signs of blackhead, but I am worried about my turkeys. I realize now that the worm (and possible protozoan) is in our soil, so I guess the main obstacle would be to manage it to avoid illness and death. I've heard great stories about cayenne pepper, so I will continue with this, but I'm on the fence about whether I should dose them or not with Safeguard. My poults' fecal came up negative, but they've only been allowed to free range just recently. My turkey hen eats/sleeps wherever she decides which sometimes is in the chicken coop/run, I have my poults eating/sleeping in a separate coop, but all my animals free range together on the same soil.

Thoughts?

Thank you,

Stacey

Back
Top Bottom