Cedar Shavings

Hi,

Do a BYC search for "cedar" & you will see a rather recent exhaustive discussion on the topic.

My opinion is yes though I wouldn't use them exclusively. See my comments on the other post under same topic.

God Bless,

Here it is plainly...cedar has a natural oil in it that is very dangerous for all small animals (rats, mice, gerbils, guinea pigs, rabbits, ferrets, etc etc etc )....including poultry. It highly concentrated amounts or enclosed spaces it will kill them.

Some people use a mix of cedar and pine because the cedar helps keep the area smelling fresher. I would not do it myself and do not ever do it for chicks...that is a 99.9% guarantee of killing them or making them very ill...they are already in a fragile state so why add to that.

Good luck in your decision.

I'm new here, but not to animal husbandry. I strongly agree with the NO'S. If you love your flock it is incumbant on you to do what is best for them. Cedar is LEATHAL

Ok, so I'll do the work and find the post. Here it is:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=118774&p=3

You will see there is NO scientific evidence that cedar is "leathal" or necessarily even harmful to poultry or humans. And I would add "especially" when mixed with pine in no more than a 50/50 mix.

Fact is I've been using cedar with chicks, juveniles, and adults and I have had absolutely NO problems.

Ask yourself this question, IF cedar were such a leathal product, why in the world would every pet store, feed store, and other stores be selling it? The answer: Because it's NOT.

God Bless,

You will see there is NO scientific evidence that cedar is "leathal" or necessarily even harmful to poultry or humans. And I would add "especially" when mixed with pine in no more than a 50/50 mix.

You won't see anything you dont look for. Sometimes it takes a little effort to find facts

http://www.ratfanclub.org/pine&cdr.html

The reason pet stores sell it is because people will BUY it. It has nothing to do with safety.​

Back
Top Bottom