Cedar wood board as a ramp from coop to run - yes or no?

Chickeria

Crowing
Jan 26, 2021
Germany
My dad gave me a cedar wood board he has stored for a long time (over 30 years). It does have the ideal measurements to become a ramp from the coop into the run and it is very weather hardy. I read cedar wood can be a bad choice regarding chickens in certain circumstances, so I'm asking if it is ok to use this board as a ramp?

RIMG1429 (2).JPG

Western red cedar it looks like. Our coop is made of that. It’s not a problem.
Eastern aromatic cedar is what has been cautioned against, but I’m not sure it’s even true as I have often used those aromatic shavings mixed in with our other firewood shavings in our coop. This cedar is actually Juniper, btw.

Western red cedar it looks like. Our coop is made of that. It’s not a problem.
Eastern aromatic cedar is what has been cautioned against, but I’m not sure it’s even true as I have often used those aromatic shavings mixed in with our other firewood shavings in our coop. This cedar is actually Juniper, btw.
Thank you SueT for telling me! That's intersting about the Western and the Eastern type of cedar. I'm glad that it is ok to use this board.

Regardless of what type of cedar, after such a long period of time the aromatics would be minimal at best.

My old coop is 100% cedar and I have no issue with that, it's so aged out by this point that you don't smell a thing.
Yeah, the board dried out and aired out a long time, too.
It is also surprisingly 'light' compared to other boards (different wood) of comparable size.
Thank you for answering me, rosemarythyme!

Back
Top Bottom