central Florida backyard farmer saying hello

gutfiddle

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 21, 2010
Mulberry
howdy ya'll! this is a wonderful community you have here with a plethra of useful info. I am totally green when it comes to yardbirds but my grandpa had chickens (and cows and pigs) and I loved helping him on his farm and now that I have a one year old son I want him to enjoy the satisfaction and responsibility of watching critters grow. I bought 3 10 day old chicks from the feed store yesterday and have a section of yard penned off and covered in the shade for them to peck and scratch around.

It's super hot in FL right now so they did fine last night w/out an additional heat source but hopefully they stayed cool enough today, I'm anxious to leave work and see how they are doing! I have one Rhode Island Red, one Buff Orpington and one Americuana (or EE probably). I have alot of old live oak trees on my acre of land with alot of hawks and owls so I dont let them free range unsupervised but could anyone tell me about how high a full grown chicken can fly to perch if you dont clip their wings?

hai!
63685_dsc_0012.jpg

Last edited:
Hi from the Central FL West Coast! We are new at chickens in FL and as a couple. We both have had chickens in the past, as 4H projects for the kids (me) or as a kid (him). We picked up 5 chicks 5 weeks ago from a nearby farm and are just about ready to build them their castle or coop as most would call it. Richard is handy and the coop is planned out, all the material is laying around the house, now all we need is time and maybe a break in the weather.

Good luck with you little ones.

Jeni

Hi and welcome!
smile.png

I've seen chickens get over a 4' section of chicken wire with no problems... just because they're not long-distance fliers doesn't mean they can't get airborne! We just got chickens at the community garden where I volunteer (Plymouth Rocks, one barred and two buff - gorgeous!) and one hen managed probably 7-8' into the air with some serious flapping! (Thankfully we caught on fast and covered the run, but not before she made one escape and had us falling over laughing at the boys' attempts to catch her!). I've also seen my father's chickens make it up into the lower branches of some very tall pines, and onto his roof with the help of a porch railing. They're resourceful!

day two at raising chickens and everyone seems to be doing fine. I think they are happy scratching and peckin in their 4'x4' pen so far.

63685_3.jpg

Henretta has already figured out how to perch on a stick, i'm so proud of my little brood

63685_dsc_0018.jpg

fuzzybutts

63685_dsc_0023.jpg

Quote:
thanks we will need lots of luck with a one year old son, 8 month old pig, 7 month old bulldog, and 11 day old chickens but it's an exciting time watchin all the little critters grow.....I hope Jackson (our son) gets involved in 4H and enjoys our backyard farm as much as we do:)

Quote:
thanks for the input! i dont mind if they get over their 4ft chicken wire run fence but i hope they dont fly over my 6' privacy fence into the neighbors yard who doesnt share the same love for animals that i do:(

Quote:
thanks for the input! i dont mind if they get over their 4ft chicken wire run fence but i hope they dont fly over my 6' privacy fence into the neighbors yard who doesnt share the same love for animals that i do:(

welcome-byc.gif
when they get older you can trim there wings they will stay in your yard just fine..There are some great u tube posts on how to do it..
thumbsup.gif
very easy good luck with your cuties

Back
Top Bottom