central hatchery

Quote:
Going a little off-topic here...

I have to put in a defense for the folks on Dirty Jobs with the turkeys. I know those guys personally and they run a very nice operation. Do you really think those turkeys would be better off to roam outside in a MN winter? No Way! Even if given the opportunity they would stay in their nice warm barns. That was filmed during the coldest part of a very long and nasty winter. Of course the birds are going to look ugly (besides they're turkeys, not exactly my pick for cutest bird!)

Turkey farms in MN used to pasture turkeys in the summer, imagine hundres of acres of continuous grass with turkeys all over, quite a site. They've since moved to the confinement barn because of the decreased hardiness of the broad-breasted turkey strain, not to mention loss to predators.

As long as Americans demand cheap food (and yes folks, it is still cheap compared to other corners of the globe), and fewer people are willing to do the work of providing it, we will have to learn to tolerate the practices that have become common in large scale agriculture. Until everyone moves back to the family farm, growing food for their own family and local community the only way we'll be able to provide is through large-scale agriculture.

Oakdale Farms (the one on the TV show) is a family run operation. They hire a few local individuals as full-time help. They only raise breeding turkeys and sell hatching eggs on a large scale. The hens have plenty of room to roam as they please in the barns- on the show they were crowded in for insemination. The site is located in a beautiful setting nestled into the hills along side a lake. It typically does not smell as most turkey farms do, the owners live right in the middle of it all with barns on both sides of them. They are very conscientious to their neighbors, never wanting to offend.

On another note, I'm liking the prices on broilers from this hatchery, I think I might give them a try.
wink.png

I've never used them, but their birds look good. Why the roosters were all dubbed I haven't a clue...
idunno.gif
But people that have used them seem to be saying nice things about them so give them a try. The seem to specialize in laying crosses and meat chickens. So if that is what you are after then go for it.

Last edited:
I just put in an order to Central. They were booked a couple weeks out so I have 100 Cornish Cross broiler chicks coming on 9/11. I'll post again when they arrive.

--Kelly

They came right on time, just as expected. 104 happy, healthy chirping chicks!

IMG_1982.jpg

Just my luck that it would be pooring rain the day they came. I was a little hesitant to put the out in my calf-hutch brooder but after I saw how they took off running around and pecking in the straw I knew they would be fine. Everyone had a drink, a bite to eat then they settled down for a nap.

I have my appointment to have them processed in eight weeks so hopefully they grow well.
jumpy.gif

I'd buy from them after reading folks reviews. As for "name brand" bigger is not always better. Who was it that had the little mishap with disease this past spring- wasn't the small mom and pop Central hatchery was it? Could have been any one of them, but it just happened to be one of the biggest. Things that give you pause. Keystonepaul

Back
Top Bottom