Centralia, PA - anyone know about it?

scbatz33

No Vacancy, Belfry Full
11 Years
Jan 23, 2009
South GA
I was surfing a few weeks back and saw a story about this town in Pa that has been closed down due to an underground coal fire that started back in the early '60s. I was hoping to read more on it but m having trouble finding the books/videos mentioned in one story.

Does anyone have copies of Joan Quigley's "The Day the Earth Caved In" or the 2007 documentary "The Town That Was"?

Last edited:
silent hill?
hide.gif

My friend and I planned a trip there - about and hour and a half from me- but she had something come up at the last minute. I really want to see this town. I am trying to plan another trip up there.

From Wikipedia:
Centralia is a borough and ghost town in Columbia County, Pennsylvania, United States. Its population has dwindled from over 1,000 residents in 1981 to 12 in 2005[1] and 9 in 2007,[2] as a result of a mine fire burning beneath the borough since 1962. Centralia is now the least-populous municipality in Pennsylvania, with four fewer residents than the borough of S.N.P.J..

Centralia is part of the Bloomsburg–Berwick Micropolitan Statistical Area. The borough is completely surrounded by Conyngham Township.

All properties in the borough were claimed under eminent domain by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 1992 (and all buildings therein were condemned), and Centralia's ZIP code was revoked by the Post Office in 2002.[1] However, a few residents continue to reside there in spite of a failed lawsuit to reverse the eminent domain claim.

Quote:
Sorry, got the date wrong, I was thinking about something else when I was typing........Sometimes the brain doesn't multi-task well.

I live nearby. It is creepy. There are streets there like there should be a town, but only I think 5 or 6 houses remain. So sad. Some residents just filed a lawsuit, they say Pennsylvania wants their property so the state can strip mine all of the coal. There's supposed to be millions of dollars of coal under Centralia. Maybe you saw that article, the Associate Press just wrote a story about that.

http://republicanherald.com/news/centralia-claims-massive-fraud-1.667993

I never saw that movie, but it sounds really interesting!

Back
Top Bottom