Ceramic Heat Bulb Questions

Pics
Here's what I'm using. Its 150w and Im using it for 10 chicks in a 4x4 brooder . Keeps the ground at 97ish when about 2.5 feet away[ambient around 60 min], then I move to about 3 foot away to keep around 92 right under it. I turn it off if it's a warm day and the chicks stay far from it.

I also use a plate heater, exactly the same as pictured in the posts before me. While they are a few weeks old.
20200423_121614.jpg

Here's what I'm using. Its 150w and Im using it for 10 chicks in a 4x4 brooder . Keeps the ground at 97ish when about 2.5 feet away[ambient around 60 min], then I move to about 3 foot away to keep around 92 right under it. I turn it off if it's a warm day and the chicks stay far from it.

I also use a plate heater, exactly the same as pictured in the posts before me. While they are a few weeks old.View attachment 2104332
Thanks for sharing. If you were to use one of the metal light fixtures that has the reflective shield around it you would greatly increase the heat you get out of it. Or you could use lower wattage bulb. Just an idea.

Thanks for sharing. If you were to use one of the metal light fixtures that has the reflective shield around it you would greatly increase the heat you get out of it. Or you could use lower wattage bulb. Just an idea.
Yeah, I think I only used this because I couldn't find a high temp ceramic fixture with the shield at the time. I agree though, it feels like a ton of heat is just going right out the top.

Would be a good idea for me to drop wattage, I really just blindly bought one not seeing much info about the different outputs.

I've been looking at these as a heating source. What's the reliability people have seen with these?
From what I've read they seem to put off about the same heat as a heat lamp.
They do last much longer! I’ve had the same bulbs for 3 years and they still put out the same heat. At the time I paid $25 each at a local pet store, but they are much cheaper online, under $10. I brood in the coop year round with 100 watt ceramic bulbs with no issues.

They do last much longer! I’ve had the same bulbs for 3 years and they still put out the same heat. At the time I paid $25 each at a local pet store, but they are much cheaper online, under $10. I brood in the coop year round with 100 watt ceramic bulbs with no issues.
I would like to see pictures of your setup.
Yep online they run roughly $5-$7 per bulb.

Back
Top Bottom