Chalky eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jpiggle1, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Jpiggle1

Jpiggle1 In the Brooder

May 6, 2018
    Hi! i have a 27wo RIR who started out laying shell less eggs and now is laying many chalky eggs with little or no bloom. Is this a common early egg problem? Stories guide doesn’t discuss this.

2. Poultry Place

Poultry Place Chirping

Aug 15, 2017
    McVeytown Pennsylvania
    Hello, by shell less do you mean soft egg or nothing but yolk and egg whites? The chalky eggs I am assuming you are refering to the texture of the shell? Yes it is not uncommon for new layers to have some bumps in the egg making process.

3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

They definitely have bloom because that's how they expell an egg.
    Shell less eggs are because the Hens are producing too many yolks and expelling them quickly. Give them time to regulate the egg machine. 18% protein and oyster shell in a separate bowl.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I have several birds that lay eggs with a matte surface...not sure if they have bloom or not, if so it's not much as I can't feel it when I wash those eggs.
    I don't think it's indicative of any illness.

KikiLeigh02 likes this.
  5. Mimi’s 13

Mimi’s 13 Crowing

Jan 6, 2018
    Centre, AL
    I, too, have some birds that lay a chalky or matte surfaced egg and then some that lay a slick shiny egg. I treat them all the same, no washing and no refrigeration. I would imagine all eggs have the bloom or cuticle on them, despite their surface appearance or texture.

KikiLeigh02 likes this.
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I only wash really 'dirty' eggs...but I wonder if the bloom is just harder to 'feel' because of the matte surface, maybe it kinda 'soaks' in. I do know some birds deposit more blooms than others.

KikiLeigh02 and Mimi’s 13 like this.
  7. Mimi’s 13

Mimi’s 13 Crowing

Jan 6, 2018
    Centre, AL
    I’ve never really noticed some eggs having a heavier deposit of bloom or the fact that you could actually feel it. The only time I’ve seen it or felt it was when I snatched one up “right outta da pie hole!” :lau Only then because it hadn’t dried and was still wet.

KikiLeigh02 likes this.
  8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I notice a lot of things that others don't....and am insatiably curious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: