Chalky eggs

Jpiggle1

In the Brooder
May 6, 2018
Hi! i have a 27wo RIR who started out laying shell less eggs and now is laying many chalky eggs with little or no bloom. Is this a common early egg problem? Stories guide doesn’t discuss this.

Hello, by shell less do you mean soft egg or nothing but yolk and egg whites? The chalky eggs I am assuming you are refering to the texture of the shell? Yes it is not uncommon for new layers to have some bumps in the egg making process.

They definitely have bloom because that's how they expell an egg.
Shell less eggs are because the Hens are producing too many yolks and expelling them quickly. Give them time to regulate the egg machine. 18% protein and oyster shell in a separate bowl.

Hi! i have a 27wo RIR who started out laying shell less eggs and now is laying many chalky eggs with little or no bloom. Is this a common early egg problem? Stories guide doesn’t discuss this.
I have several birds that lay eggs with a matte surface...not sure if they have bloom or not, if so it's not much as I can't feel it when I wash those eggs.
I don't think it's indicative of any illness.

I, too, have some birds that lay a chalky or matte surfaced egg and then some that lay a slick shiny egg. I treat them all the same, no washing and no refrigeration. I would imagine all eggs have the bloom or cuticle on them, despite their surface appearance or texture.

I treat them all the same, no washing and no refrigeration. I would imagine all eggs have the bloom or cuticle on them, despite their surface appearance or texture.
I only wash really 'dirty' eggs...but I wonder if the bloom is just harder to 'feel' because of the matte surface, maybe it kinda 'soaks' in. I do know some birds deposit more blooms than others.

I only wash really 'dirty' eggs...but I wonder if the bloom is just harder to 'feel' because of the matte surface, maybe it kinda 'soaks' in. I do know some birds deposit more blooms than others.
I’ve never really noticed some eggs having a heavier deposit of bloom or the fact that you could actually feel it. The only time I’ve seen it or felt it was when I snatched one up “right outta da pie hole!” :lau Only then because it hadn’t dried and was still wet.

Back
Top Bottom