Chalky shell

karfully

In the Brooder
May 6, 2023
Very pale ,chalky shell. 2 eggs like this from same chicken. One of them was on the roost, broken. She has been laying her eggs anywhere but the nest. On the floor, in the run, on rhe ramp to the coop. Is this serious?

Very pale ,chalky shell. 2 eggs like this from same chicken. One of them was on the roost, broken. She has been laying her eggs anywhere but the nest. On the floor, in the run, on rhe ramp to the coop. Is this serious?
Sounds like it could be standard new layer hiccups, but the questions asked above can help discern if there is any cause for concern.

The following link is an article about many (not all) of the anomalies that may be seen and a cool video too.. Since some sort of diseases is a stated possibility for so many of them, just relax and don't jump to those conclusions (without good cause for consideration)..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

Red sex link, 11 months old, been laying since SEP/OCT. Occassional bloodspots on shell is only anomalies for the girls. I already broke open the egg to view contents, normal but shell had a very thin, rough outer shell.Same with the egg on the roost.
I provide layer feed and Garden Bettys non-soy non-corn seed feed, oyster shells, and grit 24/7.
They were raised free ranged until a month ago when a hawk got one of my girls. Now they only get out of run when I am outside with them. So they are a bit stressed.
Since their incarceration, they've been getting boiled eggs and fermented feed every couple days and they are often treated with sprouts, veggies, fruits.

Ingredients​

• 4 cups oat groats
  • 4 cups black oil sunflower seeds
  • 4 cups hard red wheat berries
  • 2 cups soft white wheat berries
  • 2 cups triticale berries
  • 2 cups rye berries
  • 2 cups millet
  • 2 cups sesame seeds
  • 1 cup flax seeds
  • 1/2 cup brewer’s yeast
  • 1/4 cup kelp granules
  • Free-choice oyster shells (or crushed eggshells)
  • Free-choice grit

Back
Top Bottom