Chances of fertilization?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicks Galore3, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    My bantam SS went broody again and I am wanting to hatch out some orpingtons. I have one buff hen, and I put her in a pen with my lavender rooster. I'm not sure if he has ever mated with her; He tries, but she runs to the porch and hops up. (He has deformed toes and so he can't follow.) I put them in a small pen together tonight, hoping that he'll mate with her now that she can't run way. He did show interest, but didn't try and mate. Is it safe to assume that he will have mated with her by morning and she'll lay fertile eggs?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    If you want to check that the eggs are fertile after they've been together a few days, crack one open. A fertilized egg will have a blastoderm on the yolk - a white post that looks like a bullseye. An infertile egg has a blastodisc, which is just a solid white spot.

3. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I've thought about doing that....but, the catch is, the hen is 4 years old and lays very occaisonally - any eggs I get from her I'm going to want to hatch, not crack open! But I suppose I might have to.

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Well, the other option is to just start gathering them up and stick them all under the broody. In three or four days you can candle them and tell if they're fertile or not that way, and then you don't have to waste them :)

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I would give them several days together to have a better chance. You can take an egg after a few days and have it for breakfast and check it for fertility when you break it open. Orpingtons generally aren't the best layers.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by