changes in feed for extreme winter hens.

mosse71

Songster
Oct 18, 2016
n. maine
im in n.Maine and it gets wicked cold here. its been a few years (like 20) since I've kept chickens through the winter. used to just give them their layer feed and call it good. would it be better to give them high protein feed for the extra energy and some oyster shells just for winter months? i would think the extra protien would also help egg production as well help them keep warm.

oldhenlikesdogs

Grateful
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jul 16, 2015
Wisconsin
I feed a higher protein ration year round here to my flock. It prevents deficiencies. I feed a 18% all flock with a separate bowl of oyster shells for the calcium needs. I sometimes mix oatmeal with their ration to make a wet mash for a warm morning treat.

ChickenLeg

Crowing
9 Years
Feb 15, 2012
Yeah cracked corn goes a long way in winter since it heats up the body when breaking down inside the chicken.

llombardo

Crowing
Mar 11, 2018
Illinois
I just switched to fermented feed. It's all flock. I add some garlic, probiotics and Spirulina. I find they drink less water with the feed too. I serve it warm 2x a day.

GC-Raptor

Free Ranging
Jul 26, 2016
Connecticut, USA
I feed a 18 - 20% Protein feed year round. My Golden Comets feather pick when I switched to a 16% layers feed.
A All-Flock, Flock Raiser, Non-Medicated Starter-Grower, Start & Grow or 18% Layers feed, whatever is freshest and available in your area.
I feed a 18% Medicated Start & Grow to Chicks till at least 10 weeks, then switch to non-medicated when the medicated runs out.
I bought Flock Raiser this week to feed my 10 week old Chicks (when their medicated feed runs out in a week or so) and 30 month old hens with Oyster Shells on the side. GC

Top Bottom