Changing a Pekin Ducks environment

tchaplin

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2015
Lexington Park, MD
Does anyone have experience with changing the environment for Pekin duck? Do they adapt well to change? Also, if a Drake has been raised with a female mate and is moved to live with two males, how well will that work?

There is a Pekin Duck Club thread - I think you can find many helpful people there.

In general, ducks need some help adjusting. Some are quick to settle in, some take more time. Same with getting along with new ducks - it's up to them, but their people can help matters by handling it slowly and using treats to reinforce good feelings.

Does anyone have experience with changing the environment for Pekin duck? Do they adapt well to change? Also, if a Drake has been raised with a female mate and is moved to live with two males, how well will that work?
from what I've read a lot of males will fight or gang up and pick on the smallest but that's not always the case. Amiga is right each duck is different and may surprise you. I have a little pekin and she is indoors right now but I do switch up the setup of her pen every week (putting the food to one side and be to another) and I take her out to explore the yard though she does seem to gravitate to the porch :/ maybe don't switch too fast let him kick it where you want him to stay a little longer each day until he's ready to stay indefinitely

Back
Top Bottom