Changing Quail feed for egg layers?

Beckey2054

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 30, 2012
Utah
HI Everyone!!
So we have 53 quail (18 of which are Bob White- they are supposed to be GG but they are so small still?? Heaviest is only 8oz..?? WHEN will they gain weight???) and 160 eggs in the incubator that will hatch middle of next week (all Cots)

To date we feed them a 28% protein game bird mash and then whatever treats they are up for at the moment. (everything from eggs to crickets, lettuce and all kids of things in between) Our oldest Bobs are now 15 weeks old and our Cots are 7 weeks. I know they will probably not start laying RIGHT at the age they should (16 weeks for Bobs-if they lay so late in the season.. and 8 for Cots - Right??) But I want to make sure I am giving my girls what they need in order to be healthy, happy and very egg productive once they do start. I am slightly confused on feed for egg layers..
caf.gif
I read in one post that the higher protein feed is best and supplement with oyster shell and grit. But then I read elsewhere that I should be giving them the layer mix???. WHAT is the difference? Should I start my older birds on a layer mix and keep the others on the mash? Or should I keep them all on the mash and continue to give them their treats and supplement with the oyster shell and grit? If I keep them on the mash will they produce healthy eggs? We ultimately want them to be laying healthy FERTILE (although I know that part lands on my boys) eggs so we can build up our numbers so we have a steady supply of quail eggs for eating, hatching, and also for meat when we get so many males we have to cull some..

And WHY are my older Bobs slowing down in eating, growing, ect?? I was told that they were Georgia Giant (all of my Bobs are supposed to be) but the 15 week old are now only 8oz or so each, and do not eat as much as they used to. Our "teenagers" are around 8 weeks old, also GG Bobs, and are also close to 8oz each, but are still eating like crazy. Did they sell us regular Bob Whites or do GG slow down and gain their weight slowly (I was told GG could get around 12 to 18 oz each..??)
We also have Jumbo Cots.. They are 7 weeks, also closing in on 8oz each, still eat like little piggies (holy cow, where to these birds put all that food??
hu.gif
) and so should also start laying soon... Our roos are calling, mostly during morning, and the hens have started to argue here and there over little things (hubby plans to build breeding cages this weekend.. They are all still in grow out pens for now) .. Will my Jumbo Cots also get to be a good heavier bird? Or are they at about their top weight.. Will changing to a layer feed help them gain weight? The feed thing is seriously confusing...
barnie.gif
Anything that will help me understand would be great.. I really want to make sure they get what they need to be healthy egg layers.. I know they are pretty happy birds (our older Bobs are the most tame happy birds, they wait all day for us to come play then they do the "happy" call once we do.. Love it) so guess the feed is the next thing to keeping them that way, if I need to change anything at all..

Thank you everyone for all the help!!! Love this forum.

There is no such thing as "Layer Feed" for quail. Just feed them the same feed you have been, somewhere between 24% to 28% protein and add oyster shell or even cuttle bone on the side when they start laying. Feeding layer feed to the males would harm their systems as they do not need too much calcium. The female quail will eat the oyster shell as needed. (crush the oyster shell if it is too large)

Sounds like you are feeding them a good quality diet. Offering up fruits like sliced up apples, peaches, veggies like snap peas in the pod, broccoli heads, sprouts,cabbage, corn on the cob, tomatoes, other assorted veggies will not only add to their natural diet, but give them something to look forward to and works as a good bonding agent between you and them.

As birds age, they will slow down in the eating dept. So you will have to wait and see if you are raising GG's or the standard Bobwhite.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Ive been raising bobwhites for several years and I`ve never had any lay an rgg the first yeat, will be the next spring.
As far as the feed goes, here in the deep south mt local feed store carries FRM feeds.
Game Bird Starter, Game Bird Layer and Gane Bird Grower. The Starter is 28% protien Last year I fed Starter through the winter and switched to Layer in Feb.

Ive been raising bobwhites for several years and I`ve never had any lay an rgg the first yeat, will be the next spring.
As far as the feed goes, here in the deep south mt local feed store carries FRM feeds.
Game Bird Starter, Game Bird Layer and Gane Bird Grower. The Starter is 28% protien Last year I fed Starter through the winter and switched to Layer in Feb.

That is where I get confused.. What is the difference with the starter, grower, and layer feeds? We have all of the game bird feeds as well, but the gal at our local IFA could not explain to me the difference, or why I would even need to change to layer or grower feed. When I looked at the grower feed, it was nearly identical to the starter feed except it was a crumble, not a mash... My birds seem happier with the smaller mash size, as they get upset with larger crumbles and will throw more feed out of their feeder and onto the ground where it cannot be reached by them so the wild birds end up with a treat. Really I just want to know what is the difference, and why would they need to change feed if it is so similar? If the difference is in the oyster shell being added, then I already provide that for in another tray. But if there is another reason that I am overlooking, that is what I am trying to find out.

We try to give them all a varied diet, and let them "forage" outside too when we have time to watch them (the cage is not safe for them to be left unattended as cats could find a way inside - is is open bottom- but the birds love to spend time in it scratching and playing in they grass, weeds, and dirt) They get all kinds of fruits & veggies (except carrots, none of the birds like them..hmm) and hubby gives them an egg nearly every morning while he is eating his eggs. We also give them crickets once in a while.

I guess really I just wondering why there are all the different feeds, or if they are really different? I am sure there are subtle differences, but I have not been able to see what they are with the feed available to us at IFA.

I am also not surprised that you say the Bobs probably will not lay til next spring
hmm.png
. I have read this but hopeful they will lay this year but if they do not I will not be surprised or worried about it.. I had been told by the lady I purchase my Coturnix eggs from that they "should" lay this year, but only if they have proper lighting. She never got back to me on if she gives her birds a "layer" feed or not. I will keep feeding them the 28% feed and the extras unless I can find a good reason for change, and keep reading and researching as that is just what I do.. (drives my husband nuts.. but then when he wants an answer, guess who eventually gets it for him ..
wink.png
)

There is no such thing as "Layer Feed" for quail. Just feed them the same feed you have been, somewhere between 24% to 28% protein and add oyster shell or even cuttle bone on the side when they start laying. Feeding layer feed to the males would harm their systems as they do not need too much calcium. The female quail will eat the oyster shell as needed. (crush the oyster shell if it is too large)

Sounds like you are feeding them a good quality diet. Offering up fruits like sliced up apples, peaches, veggies like snap peas in the pod, broccoli heads, sprouts,cabbage, corn on the cob, tomatoes, other assorted veggies will not only add to their natural diet, but give them something to look forward to and works as a good bonding agent between you and them.

As birds age, they will slow down in the eating dept. So you will have to wait and see if you are raising GG's or the standard Bobwhite.

Good luck!
Will Coturnix eat this array of foods? Mine only eat the grower pellets occasionally spinach and mealworms and the laying hens are crazy for oystershell.

Starter feed is generally higher in protein than grower feed. Layer feed can be the same as starter feed or grower feed, however it contains oyster shell. As the birds grow, they do not require as much protein, hence the grower feed. Sometimes the higher protein feeds can lead to egg laying issues as well. (over production of eggs, large eggs that get stuck, etc..)You need to decide what to feed your birds. If you are sticking to the same brand of feed, there will be no quality difference in any of these feeds. However as I mentioned earlier, you do not want to feed males any layer feed. It can destroy their kidneys. I have been feeding my Bobs a 26% protein feed for many years and have never had any problems with the health of the birds or the egg laying. Do not get stuck on the names..."Starter Feed, Grower Feed, Layer Feed"....you want to feed a good amount of protein, somewhere between 24% and 28%. make sure the layers have their calcium and they will live long healthy lives if cared for properly.

Will Coturnix eat this array of foods? Mine only eat the grower pellets occasionally spinach and mealworms and the laying hens are crazy for oystershell.
Sure they will. New foods take time to get used to. But if you offer it up in their feed dish, somebody will try it and of course the rest will follow.

Will Coturnix eat this array of foods? Mine only eat the grower pellets occasionally spinach and mealworms and the laying hens are crazy for oystersheWe
OH MY GOODNESS - The things they will eat!!! My husband is really the "treat" king.. He loves the fact that the quail start to recognize him and will come to the cage door waiting for him to give them something. Our quail have eaten so many different things now its hard to keep track. Sometimes they seem not to like a particular food, but then later change their minds. They get oats, fruits, sunflower seeds,wild bird feed, dandelion leaves, grasses, some weeds, hay, insects,worms & mealworms, eggs, cheese (hubby loves to feed them cheese... because the birds love it.. I have to keep after him to quit it
roll.png
) lettuce, spinach, zucchini, all kinds of veggies (with exception to carrots.. I have offered them many many times and they just will not eat those.. don't know why).. When they are a day or two out of their eggs we give them flightless fruit flies (I raise those for my frogs, so always have some handy) and they LOVE those, once they figure out the flies are not chasing them.. scaredy cats! lol..
hide.gif
.. I find it amazing what they will eat. My older Bobs love frozen fruits.. watermelon and banana being their favorite. My other Bobs like dried cranberries and frozen blueberries. The Cots will eat just about ANYTHING- little piggies..lol.. They all seem to have a favorite, but will eat just about anything we give them. Lately they have even been chasing the wasps that we have seen flying around the cages.. This worried me.. we read online that they should be ok for them to eat... but I am still trying to find out where the buggers nest is so I can get rid of it.. as long as they don't hurt my birds I am ok with them gobbling them up.

I feed my Cots a 24% game bird crumble mixed witha premuim wild bird feed. I also mix with a product called Ultra Egg, purchased at TS in place of the oyster shell. It is more like a crumble
it is kinda pricey but my egg production has gone thru the roof! I have 33 hens and getting 24-30 eggs per day! I wasn't getting anywhere near that before. The oyster shell just seemed so large and did not want to mess w grinding it up. The eggs are a very nice size and every once in a while get an overly large one. The yolks are really large and very yellow. So far works for me. The Ultra Egg is 12.99 for 5 lbs. but that mixes with 50 lbs. of feed. The wild bird food ups the protein level and gives them some variety.

Back
Top Bottom