Changing Sacramento laws (would like feedback on law language)

I wish there wasn't a need to be so restrictive. Roseville allows 10 and doesn't differentiate between hens and roosters. We're in an unincorporated area and the laws are ridiculous. I agree that the Folsom law is crazy, too. Two rabbits? The majority of rabbits in the US are kept as indoor pets. :eek:/

***UPDATE CROWING FOWL BAN VOTE POSTPONED*****
Hi all-Here is where we stand now:
This may be your last chance to stop the Sacramento County Board of Supervisors from passing an amendment to the zoning code that will place a ban on all crowing fowl on all residentially zoned properties in unincorporated areas. (Folsom, Citrus Heights, City of Sacramento and Rancho Cordova are their own cities and have their own laws.) The Board of Supervisors met to vote on this amendment July 22, 2015. Essentially this code change will make it illegal to keep any roosters or other male gendered guinea fowl, ducks, geese or peacocks regardless of your residential property size. The allowances for hens will remain the same (10,000 square feet or more property size). There was also some talk during the meeting of possibly changing the allowances for keeping crowing fowl on some AR designated properties as well. Thanks to Don Nottoli, we were granted more time to organize and be heard. They will bring this to vote again on or before October 30, 2015.
I urge you and any other crowing fowl owners to please contact all five supervisors individually and request a "no" vote. They may ask you why you are calling outside of your own district. The answer is simple, each of their votes carries weight for decisions made for the entire county, not just within your district. Banned chickens may be transported from a neighboring district and dumped into yours. Chicken dumping is cruel causes damage to public and private property. Because they are a non-native species, chickens upset the delicate balance of wilderness ecosystems and pose a real threat to the spread of diseases to both private and wild bird flocks.
We still have a chance to keep this vote from passing. If at all possible, please attend any meeting with any reference to "crowing fowl" on the agenda and fill out a speaker form. They are supposed to post the agenda and when/if a meeting is to be held 72 hours in advance. Find out what will be on the agenda for both Tuesday and Wednesday meetings in Sept and Oct. This month's 2:00 PM Wed meeting was canceled, but it was not posted on the Sac County site. You may have to call.
Please, we need your all of your voices to ring out loud and proud. We really want to keep our male fowl where they are safe and loved. Few shelters accept roosters because most are already full. The County Animal Shelter will only take "stray" chickens. I know this because I called every shelter and sanctuary in the area this morning. The supervisors did not factor into their planning humane locations where we can relinquish our roosters. Chairman Serna suggested that they might waive the $50 turn-in fee at the County Animal Shelter on Bradshaw- whose staff told me they currently do not accept "owned roosters". If the County prohibits folks with large properties from keeping roosters, then who will be able to adopt them from shelters or take in strays? You can look up this meeting on their website at http://www.agendanet.saccounty.net/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=11557&doctype=SUMMARY. Here is a snapshot of the outcome of the July 22, 2015 meeting:

5:10 PM Board Action: Phil Serna/ Susan Peters - Approved recommendations by staff, as amended and directed staff return to the Board prior to October 30, 2015 to address the Crowing Fowl.

AYES: Patrick Kennedy, Roberta MacGlashan, Susan Peters, Phil Serna
NOES: Don Nottoli
ABSTAIN: (None)
ABSENT: (None)
RECUSAL: (None)
(PER POLITICAL REFORM ACT (§ 18702.5.))

Last edited:
IT'S TIME TO SPEAK UP OR GIVE UP YOUR CROWING FOWL

Once this zoning change becomes finalized, it isn't going to be easy to get our property rights returned. If you zoned (AR), Ag Residential, you may not be as safe from this ban as you think. Roberta MacGlashan the District 4 Supervisor, (see map:http://www.bos.saccounty.net/District4/Documents/District4Map.pdf was talking about applying the ban to your residential zoning category as well. And what other animals or livestock are they going to ban next? Also, please note that other zoning changes were voted on regarding pens, coops, fences, walls, etc.

The Sacto County Supervisors want to see an angry hoard (so to speak) as Serna hinted at during the July 22nd meeting. Don't give up your male fowl or your property rights! We are asking anyone interested in attending a planning meeting to send me a private message. Please include your zip code and dates/times you are available and we'll figure out a location/date/time that fits everyone's needs as best we can.

The Supervisors will revisit the crowing fowl section of their zoning amendments “tentatively” on:
Wednesday October 28, 2015, 2:30 PM to 6:00 PM, Board Chambers, 700 H Street, 1st floor, in Suite 1450, Sacramento, CA 95814.

Contact: Kevin Romo, 916-874-8178 to confirm meeting agenda, date/time.

OR
Call, write, email, tweet or Facebook all five Supervisors and tell them
what you think.

Back
Top Bottom