Changing Sacramento laws (would like feedback on law language)

Here are a few pictures of my 'illegal' setup in Sacramento City. Feel free to use in any way to support the change in ordinance.

This is my first time posting pix, so I hope it works.

23536_100_3321.jpg

23536_100_3320.jpg

23536_100_3319.jpg

23536_100_3318.jpg

23536_100_3317.jpg

How'd it go today at the press conference? I'm sorry I wasn't able to make it. Are you expecting anything to be written up in the Bee? SNR?

On behalf of all of us practicing backyard civil disobedience, thank you for tackling this challenge!

Hello,
I am so excited about this! I have had black market chickens for a few years now. It would be great to not worry about getting in trouble for having them. I have lots of pictures of my son with them. Do you still need pics?

Thanks for spearheading this effort!! It is a worthy cause for sure.

OMG I can't believe I missed this thread till now.

I live in Sacramento County, right outside the city limits, in a "regular" urban area. Sacramento county chicken laws are here: http://www.msa2.saccounty.net/acr/Documents/Chickensand-zoning-letter-English.Edited.06.pdf

I
have only lived in my current home for several months, I have some chickens that are about 3 months old. My property is something like 9,950 sq feet, very close to 10,000 that is required by the county.

At my parent's home, in the same neighborhood, we keep 5 laying hens. Their property is smaller. The neighbors next door know they are there...no one has a problem with the hens. One neighbor even LOVES to get fresh eggs. The hens have a small attractive coop with an attached run, that I made, although the hens spend most of their day free ranging the lawn in the backyard. We get 4-5 eggs a day from 5 hens, they are almost a year old. When we raised our chicks, we ended up with a rooster, which we re-homed for free to a farm when he started to crow.

I have pictures of my set up(s) that I can provide. At my current house, I have a chicken tractor that I can move around and it almost fits over my 4' x 8' raised garden beds. (very similar to gardengirlTV.com)

I get my chicken feed from western feed supply downtown. I ALWAYS see people buying chicken feed there. I really believe there is a huge "underground" pet chicken thing going on in Sacramento.

I think 6 hens is a perfect number to go for. I think maybe listing "keeping sexually mature cockerels or roosters is unlawful" should work BUT you need to list what the definition of a sexually mature rooster is. Do you need to list how far away the chickens need to be housed? I have seen other chicken city laws that don't list a distance away from the home.

Congrats on taking on this project. I am sad I missed the meeting...how did it go? Did you get any press to come?

How is this going? I am in the position of being "illegal" with silkies. As has been noted, they only come straight run- we have had several successful hatchings, and have more than a reasonalble number of roos. They are characters, and the roos do "guard" the coop at night. There are two or three who sleep in the door way at night. We live in the north Natomas area, and have had possums and racoons in our yard- we saw a momma coon and five babies in our front tree a year or so ago at about 6:30 am. Verry cool- but they will eat eggs -and chickens.

If there is anyone on this board that is interested in silkies, we need to find homes for most of them, due to a landlord(not living on the street) complaining about another family who has chickens. There are at least three families with chickens on this street!

Ivy

Quote:
I would love some silkies (no Roos) . I live nearby. Did someone in El Cerrito say that their city is aiming for sustainability and is legalizing hens.
woot.gif

We need to find out and convince our cities to do the same.

My chickens are not in an illegal coop They are in a speakeasy coop as my neighbors are all on board too.

My pullets don't lay eggs until Sept. and the neighbors are giving bread, oranges, cake, and feeding my kids dinner while I am at school.
wink.png
I think they are anticipating eggs as much as I am.

Last edited:
We will seperate them and count the roos - I think we have mostly roos, although it might seem like that because they are active. I honestly don't find the crowing annoying. I will write back again tomorrow with counts. Most are black and grey with a few showing partridge colors.

Ivy

Back
Top Bottom