Chantecler Chickens

Noah

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 27, 2010
I was wondering if anybody can tell me about these chickens.
Would they be good for a beginner like me?
Are they friendly?
I want to get as much feed back as I can before I decide to bring them home.
I currently have two frizzle mix roosters, two seabrights (hens) and a little blue hen.

Hi Noah,

Partridge Chanteclers from Ideal Poultry were my first chickens. Yes, they Are Friendly. They can be trained to come when you call, and then will come to see you when you approach the coop. This is not to say they particularly like to be picked up, but they are Glad to see you! They are nice and hardy....like the cold of winter, and do fine in the summer too...I have a couple that even like to splash in puddles! Be sure to put out oyster shell for them when they start to lay. They love to eat grass and weeds on days they can't go out of the pen. It will make the eggs nicely coloured too. We have grass, plantain and dandylions in our yard. Some do like to go broody, yet are not the motherly type. So you will sometimes have to carry a hen outside so she'll eat and drink and get exercise and fresh air every day....The roosters are very gentle.

I will always have Chanteclers around, because of their friendliness, ease o care, and to help keep a rare heritage breed going. Chickens seem to be like potato chips, that you want more than one. We purchased some Salmon Faverolle chicks this spring because my daughter thought they looked so cute with their little beards and muffs.. They are very sweet and do like to be picked up. We got those from a private breeder, rather than a hatchery. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom