Chantecler Thread!

Excellent, I'll take a look. Thank you!
You are very welcome.
big_smile.png

Does anyone know how many eggs a year Chanteclers lays. Also my Buff Chantecler has a twisted wing feather on each wing, will they regrow correctly after she molts?

Does anyone know how many eggs a year Chanteclers lays. Also my Buff Chantecler has a twisted wing feather on each wing, will they regrow correctly after she molts?

I am no expert having had only 2 Partridge Chanteclers, hatched mid June 2012; one died mysteriously last March. She laid 2.66/week on average. The remaining PC lays 3.26/week on average. She goes broody several times a year which makes a big hit on production but when she is laying she goes 5 or 6 days straight before a 1 or 2 day break. Mine came from Ideal Poultry and lay at the high end of USDA small to the low end of medium.

I would guess the wing feathers will come back looking normal if they were not originally twisted.

Does anyone know how many eggs a year Chanteclers lays.

Depends what you feed, what your weather is like, what genetics you have obtained, did the breeder select for egg production or meat production or both. Something as simple as letting the birds become infested with parasites can negatively affect egg laying abilities. A cold winter, less eggs, a wet winter, could be the same result if the hens had to be out in the bad weather. How stressed the hens are or not, how good the facilities are, the dynamics on the pecking order...a hen subjected to other birds picking at her will not lay to her full potential. So many variables from place to place and flock to flock and hens to hens. It would just as easy to guess which race horse will win a Derby as to guess what number of eggs a Chantecler would lay in a year.

Let's see, every year is different but on average over the past seven or so years...my Chants are hatched end of June and the pullets begin laying eggs middle of November and will lay an egg a day (from medium to large for pullets and extra large to jumbo size for hens) each and every day unless the temperatures fall below -25C and then sometimes they will keep laying or stop until the temperature warms up once again. When they moult for the coming spring, around about middle of March or so, they will stop laying to take off and then put on a new suit of feathers. Then they will go back to laying about first week in April depending how quick they are to put feathers back on...then they keep laying until the weather gets to +30C and higher which can be around August or so...and like the winter, a temperature too extreme to be comfortable can have the hens stop laying for a day or so. Some of the hens will go setty and the best value in a hen that does that is in winter when they will keep the egg laid by other hens from freezing (which can happen in mere minutes in some of our lows). I do know I have more eggs than I know what to do with...but that is not any kind of useful answer now is it.
tongue.png

There is nothing more perfect than to see the normal life cycles of chickens happen right before your eyes. So females that stop laying in extreme weather conditions shows you just how sensible they can be. One would not want chicks to be hatched in severe conditions, so chickens like Chanteclers are one of the most perfect of general purpose heritage breeds that do things logically and in tune with Nature. Eggs from chickens were originally intended to be produced at a time when the mother hen would produce and set on her clutch of eggs and raise up offspring that would have a very good chance to survive and prosper in the best of conditions...the hen has risked her own resources to produce the offspring so the simple fact that we have managed to manipulate the chicken to produce winter eggs is something pretty wonderful and very UNnatural too.
lau.gif

What did the keepers of the Chantecler say about eggs from the breed in 1927...

Anybody made the "Chantbar" yet? A barred, auto sexing chantecler?

Historically the breed was originated by Bro W to be a general purpose breed so there is suppose to be equal value held in production qualities for the males (exquisite meat) and females (plentiful supply of decent Extra Large and Jumbo sized winter eggs). Why would you want to know gender in day olds if the true breeding Chanteclers are an amazingly productive general purpose breed in every sense of the description. The females are meant to be grown out to produce plentiful supplies of decent winter eggs and the males are meant to be grown out to produce both breeding stocks and delicious meat for the common human's table.

There are many conservation persons that believe to save a breed, we should be eating them. If a person can only keep female chickens by law, they should purchase the females alive as adults and the males as meals processed by a licensed facility (or processed themselves for their own personal use) to provide meat for their families so that production of BOTH genders is a welcome and sustainable endeavour. The males may not get to live as long as some of the females but they have lived and that would surely matter if you were able to ask them on an individual basis...most living creatures enjoy the option to have lived longer than the day they were hatched. A happy but short life to a good culling weight is still having lived.

edit by staff

As a female of the human species, I would be disgusted if we chose to cull our human males at birth because, well uh, they were considered the undesirable gender to be allowed to grow up and be useful later on in their lives.

But yeh...in my true blooded bantam project I had barred/cuckoo under the self-Whites that I chose to use to make the Standards into bantam size. Any genetics that remove, stop and dilute pigment would assist in making them white. The more genetics for no pigment, the more exhibition White the outcome. Blue Dilution, Barring/cuckoo, Silver, mottling; never mind the usual recessive and/or dominant white.
tongue.png

Surfer Dude - F1 cuckoo partridge

Have had some delightfully marked individuals exhibit cuckoo/barring in both eumelanin and phaeomelanin and combinations of both (cuckoo partridge).

Brockbar - I know what gender ... do you?

edit by staff

F1 Brockbar pullet

F1 Brockbar cockerel

F1 Cuckoo Partridge cockerel

F1 Brockbar cockerel compared to Standard sized Red Chantecler cock

How cuckoo/barred is expressed in Brock bar. Left two doses and right one dose cuckoo/barred--obviously males.

Bantam Project pullet
How blue dilution, cuckoo/barring and pencilling are expressed...note the light starbursts near feather tip

So yes, there are people that have allowed the cuckoo/barred varieties of the Chantecler to exist. Happily, allowed them to grow up in both desirable genders.

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom