Chantecler Thread!

Those parti looks like all females, except the second pic is in question, due to the darker color feathers, but I will......................still say all hens. I know how the males looks like.

Was hoping you or someone else has whites to compare.............................................

Thanks for the tips, not new to chickens, just this breed and would like to re home them, that's why I was mainly asking.

Last edited:
I'm glad to have found a thread for these guys, I love Chanteclers! When I first started with chickens, they were the breed we went with. Great birds! I kept them for a LONG time until I had dwindled down to just a pair (due to the newbie owner learning curve and a neighbors dog
hit.gif
). The last two finally passed away from old age (around 9 years old), my rooster went first and his hen followed a few months behind him. Here was our remaining hen, Ethyl, some months before she died, in the nest box, she would still lay an egg every now and then:

I couldn't find a single picture of my rooster, which makes me sad, because I'd taken quite a few of them and he was beautiful with an amazing personality to match his good looks. I couldn't find any breeders around here, and we wanted to add more of them to our current flock, so I got some from Ideal. I don't expect them to be much like our original flock, but I'll enjoy them just the same. Here are a few of our Ideal chicks when we brought them home a few weeks ago
smile.png

I couldn't find any breeders around here, and we wanted to add more of them to our current flock, so I got some from Ideal. I don't expect them to be much like our original flock, but I'll enjoy them just the same. Here are a few of our Ideal chicks when we brought them home a few weeks ago
smile.png

Guess I might have my PC around a long time then, glad to know she might earn her keep, at least a little, when she is older! I got mine from Ideal. Both broody several times a year. Eggs tend to be the large end of small. Lost one last March, not yet 2 years old - fine at 8 AM dead but still warm at 11 AM no indication of any reason for her to die, she'd laid an egg the day before. The other is a great layer when she isn't broody or moulting.

Sooo, what kind of chicks do you have pictured? I don't recall my Ideal PCs being so light colored and having spotted faces. They did have the chipmunk stripe as did the 2 EE chicks.

I would like to obtain some Partridge Chantecler. Eggs, chicks, or whatever. I'm in Western Nebraska, very near Wyoming if that matters. Ideas?

Ideal Poultry in Texas
wink.png

Quote: Thanks. I had wondered what their quality would be. You have gotten Chantecler from them, what do you think? I have done business with ideal in the past. Love their service, and their attitude. They are all booked up on Chanteclers till fall. but my past experience with them is that as soon as they have something you want, they'll give you a call.

Last edited:
Thanks. I had wondered what their quality would be. You have gotten Chantecler from them, what do you think? I have done business with ideal in the past. Love their service, and their attitude. They are all booked up on Chanteclers till fall. but my past experience with them is that as soon as they have something you want, they'll give you a call.

I have only the one experience so I can't speak to the quality of Ideal's PCs vs any other source.

I ordered 1 dozen girls (2 each - 6 breeds) in May 2012, got 1 dozen girls
wee.gif
June 13th. My first ever chickens.
All healthy. Chanteclers are supposed to lay large (??) but mine average only small ... but the remaining girl went pretty solidly into medium when she started up after moult last summer. Laid from 9/19 through 12/17 with an 11 day break end of Nov and into Dec. She averaged 5 or 6 eggs a week during that time!!!!! Then she started a mini moult and hasn't started up again yet! This from a girl that laid from 8/27/13 straight through 5/30/14 (when she went broody). That was her first winter after full moult.

I don't know if it is typical of the breed or only the ones I got but they are docile and not flighty. The remaining one will make sure I know she is on the nest (they have the loveliest little trilling coo) when I go out to open the barn and give them their morning BOSS. So will my smaller Black Australorp. They don't want to miss out but they aren't going to leave the nest when it is time for the egg to come out. They know they will get hand fed their BOSS (no cheating the girls that are WORKING!). The EE and the Anconas get all nervous if I try to make sure they aren't missing out so I don't bother them.

Much as I like the personality and beautiful feathering of the PCs, I'm going to try the whites next time I get chicks since they are supposed to be lees broody.

CB, I can't make to much assumption base on head shot alone with combs in that angle. But a full body side shot can make a more proper guess...........though I would guess female on left and male on right. Maniky because males tend to be slower feathering and the right one looks like he is still has feathers coming in. Right or wrong this time?

Back
Top Bottom