Chantecler Thread!

See the comb is wrong am I correct?

This is one of our EE crosses

Hello. New to this thread. Just finished reading it from the start, only took me a week and a half. Lol

I recently purchased 8 white chantecler after wanting them for the past 3 years! 4 roos and 4 pullets. When I went to pick them up I was only expecting to purchase two trios that the lady had for sale but ending up buying all 8 that she had in the cage. She told me the other two were pullets but after getting them home and actually taking a good look at them I realized she doped two extra roos on me...
1f612.png
But I do blame my self for not looking them over property before handing over the cash.. anyways. On top of that all the roos have crooked toes!! WHAT am I supposed to do with crooked toed roos!!
1f62b.png
But wait there's more, that's not the worst of it! One of the roos appear to be mostly blind.. it's one pupil is kind of grey and hollow looking? Not sure how to describe it. But my biggest fear now is possible Mareks disease...

Here's some pics of the group. Roos first then pullets. I was told the "two" roos are unrelated the the pullets. Two of the boys have what look like pea combs and those are the two she pointed out as unrelated. Anyways those two are apparently 8 weeks old and the rest are 12 weeks.

Roo #1 with bad eye

Roo #2

Roo #3

Roo #4

Pullet #1

Pullet #2

Pullet #3

Pullet #4

And a pic of the half blind boys eye (sorry not a great pic but you can kind of see it)

And one of the boys feet.

Anyway.. not sure what to do with these birds... I spend good money on them and made a 4 hour round trip to pick them up... at this point I don't even want to look at them..
1f61e.png
Vary disappointed to say the least..

Ok,.Let,s take another look. I like pullet number one. Kill The one with the bad eye. Useless. Grow out everyone else those crooked feet don't have to be gentic . Could be raised on slick surface, vitamin deficiency, or too long in the egg before hatching. If not genetic, the breeder could have tried straightening them. It usually works if done in the first 24 hours. I would grow out the Best boys and breed them to your girls and see if they throw crooked feet. If so, cull them . I don't think they will all throw crooked feet. And pullet number one is nice even at this age. At this point I would breed pullets to cockerels. Usually not done but this time you are test breeding for defects. As soon as you know what the roos are throwing you can cull unneeded ones. Another thing you can do is dispense with the boys and bring in a top cock. Where are you. Perhaps we can find a top breeder with a stud cock. Either way, raise these birds as if they were first class. You want to give the next generation a strong start. The Combs can be fixed that,s simple genetics. I know how you feel I have been there multiple times when I was in another breed. I am waiting for my Chanteclers too. They will get here some time in August.warm regards, Karen.

Last edited:
Ok Chantecler community, let's put our heads together for more advice on how to grade up these. Birds. Dissing them won't help, we are looking for the genetic diamonds in these birds.

Who can help with explaining he comb genetics and how to breed in the right cushion comb?

Last edited:
Oh you are in Alberta. That's where Higgins Rat Conservation stanch is. Great! They have white chanteclers and huge knowledge. They are expert at comb genetics. She graded up chanteclers to make her VB own strain. Let me find her website. She knows all about grading up stock.

Ok, Higgins BYC nick is Canuckbock
They have their own thread here on NYC called, :. Jest another day in Pear-a-Dice. : . Very nice people.
Best, Karen.

Last edited:
Ok,.Let,s take another look. I like pullet number one. Kill The one with the bad eye. Useless. Grow out everyone else those crooked feet don't have to be gentic . Could be raised on slick surface, vitamin deficiency, or too long in the egg before hatching. If not genetic, the breeder could have tried straightening them. It usually works if done in the first 24 hours. I would grow out the Best boys and breed them to your girls and see if they throw crooked feet. If so, cull them . I don't think they will all throw crooked feet. And pullet number one is nice even at this age. At this point I would breed pullets to cockerels. Usually not done but this time you are test breeding for defects. As soon as you know what the roos are throwing you can cull unneeded ones. Another thing you can do is dispense with the boys and bring in a top cock. Where are you. Perhaps we can find a top breeder with a stud cock. Either way, raise these birds as if they were first class. You want to give the next generation a strong start. The Combs can be fixed that,s simple genetics. I know how you feel I have been there multiple times when I was in another breed. I am waiting for my Chanteclers too. They will get here some time in August.warm regards, Karen.

Thank you Karen for the quick response!

I'm thinking about finding a vet that can test that one roo for Mareks. If not I'll definitely be culling him!

I'm in central Alberta Canada (Caroline) if anyone has a rooster or two there wanting to sell Id consider that option. If not I'd definitely take your advice and incubator some eggs from this group and hope for the best.

Thank you again for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom