Chantecler Thread!

So it appears after taking another look one of the 4 pullets appears to be a cockerel. I might be down to only 3 pullets out of 8 but this little guy has straight as an arrow toes!!
1f917.png
So my question now is should I use him for breeding even though he's small or should I do a test breeding with one of my bigger crooked toed roos?

Here's the small cockerel.

Bre

I just got off the phone with the lady that I purchased the birds from and she said I can bring back 3 of the cockerels in exchange for pullets. That means a 4 hour round trip ones again but I think it might be worth it.

Bre

Well that will solve your Cockerel problem. Now carefully inspect these new pullets. Look for bright eyes, energetic, proper feet and legs. No ruffled feathers, no sneezing or sniffles. No discharge from eyes. Check poop. Check vent where poop comes out. There should be NO evidence of pasty butt or evidence of medical treatment of vent. Chick should be good size and robust. Ignore any chicks which seem to have or had special needs. Even if you are told "the problem was small and fixed quickly". Bumps in the developmental road early in life in chicks have life long ramifications. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Know proper chick down coloring and choose it. Look at feathering on her adults if you can. Ask to see sire and dam if possible and remember their breed type. Check under the wings for mites. Tell seller you are checking feathering if seller asks. Notice beak, make sure it is normal and not malformed. Check bottoms of feet for blisters or sores. Tell seller you are checking color if seller asks. Do not choose any bird which is not active. Or is hiding in a corner or looks depressed. Pick active, eager eater. If you have your nutri-drench, take it with you and give each chick one drop by mouth before you start for home. It will help combat travel stress.
Let us know how it goes.
Best, Karen

Well that will solve your Cockerel problem. Now carefully inspect these new pullets. Look for bright eyes, energetic, proper feet and legs. No ruffled feathers, no sneezing or sniffles. No discharge from eyes. Check poop. Check vent where poop comes out. There should be NO evidence of pasty butt or evidence of medical treatment of vent. Chick should be good size and robust. Ignore any chicks which seem to have or had special needs. Even if you are told "the problem was small and fixed quickly". Bumps in the developmental road early in life in chicks have life long ramifications. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Know proper chick down coloring and choose it. Look at feathering on her adults if you can. Ask to see sire and dam if possible and remember their breed type. Check under the wings for mites. Tell seller you are checking feathering if seller asks. Notice beak, make sure it is normal and not malformed. Check bottoms of feet for blisters or sores. Tell seller you are checking color if seller asks. Do not choose any bird which is not active. Or is hiding in a corner or looks depressed. Pick active, eager eater. If you have your nutri-drench, take it with you and give each chick one drop by mouth before you start for home. It will help combat travel stress.
Let us know how it goes.
Best, Karen

Yes! This time I'll definitely be having a good look over them! She did say the ones I'll be getting just started laying so she knows there females. She asked me to send her pictures of all the boys and the saddle feathers. I was trying to explain to her how to sex them by there feathers but she insisted there's only two boys in the group... she told me she putts all the chicks in a pen with a rooster and if the rooster mounts one that means it's a female... if only it worked that way.
1f644.png

I'll be making the trip on Sunday or Monday so pics to follow in a couple days!
1f603.png

Thank you Karen for all the advice! I'd probably still be in the stage of pulling my hair out if it wasn't for you!! Haha
1f602.png

Bre

Been where you are and good friends helped me through it to success. Passing it forward
1f600.png
. Just trust your instincts, not anyone's word.
Ok so her cocks only mount hens? That's a new one, sigh. Also look at the eggs being laid for proper breed Characteristics.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
No...never graded up no Chanteclers...got original lines.  In the Standards; Franklin's Buffs, Oka's Whites as sports outta our Partridges, and in the Partridge, we have Albertan's that were crossed on Oka Whites so they could fix the inbreeding AND duck foot issues.   

[Edited by RiddleMe for brevity]

I've stolen enough time now for the dawgs...gotta run...run dogs...we got a nice show to get ready for.  :weee  

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins

Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada
This is interesting, I hadn't heard of duckfoot being an issue in the Chanti breed. It's a big issue in my other breed, Russian Orloffs.

This is interesting, I hadn't heard of duckfoot being an issue in the Chanti breed. It's a big issue in my other breed, Russian Orloffs.

Not Chants...the Albertans!
lau.gif

What happened if I can summarize...Albertans, taken to Ontario when the Dentist moved there. He returned to Alberta eventually but he left these Albertans behind. They were obviously neglected and became quite inbred. Andrè Auclair rescued a flock of these, noted the inbreeding had made the duck foot quite prevalent. He crossed the Albertans with Oka White Chants...took these crosses, F1 generations onwards and used them as home flock egg makers until, until HE felt the lines were improved. I believe this is where some of the Black Chants came from plus of course, the Albertans disappeared INTO the Partridge Chantecler stocks. Get that then I hope?
hu.gif

So, knowing how the "birds never lie," we can see that we lost the Albertans but gained a better Partridge Chantecler. The birds never lie because what happens is you will see White sports come out of certain Chantecler Partridges. Never lie...
tongue.png

The single dose of recessive white, as per Dr. Carefoot, makes the Partridge and MDF (my own Booteds) POP. One dose mind you...which is hidden in most cases unless like in my Booteds, you see the tell tale signs of white in primaries, etc. BUT I digress....and could turn this into a War & Peace version...

To keep it short and sweet...NO DUCK FOOT have I heard being in the majority of the Chantecler as a breed! I have first hand SEEN duck foot in Houdans at a show once though.

I have heard that the Orloffs (having a similar comb type - walnut versus cushion) were used in Chanteclers (maybe vice versa?). Conversations with Jim Hopkins who ran a Poultry Trust in Ontario, he stated this rumour to me as he also had both Orloffs AND Chants and with the White Orloffs, some have chattered what if? and what if indeed??
gig.gif

BTW, how do you like the Orloffs...thinking of getting both Mahogany and Spangled next year...you are more than welcome to e-mail me since this is most off topic! LOL I think they are one heck of a gorgeous breed!!
droolin.gif

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

Hi Tara,
My deepest apologies for stating you graded up your Chanteclers. I assumed that when I read you created your strain and have made a jacka*" out of myself. Thanks so much for answering and sharing about your birds.
BTW, huge congrats on the dog's win. That is some serious symmetry and grace they have. I can see they will move with the same symmetry I see in the pics.
Best,
Karen ( Bellwether Collies ,1995-2009
Breeders of show and fine working rough and smooth collies.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom