Chantecler Thread!

Well I've been "schooled'. Thanks Tara. This post would be longer if my puter wasn't down and me on my cell. Sigh.
Of. I guess my outlook was tainted by my outlook from working with the BBR Marans. I spent 5 times trying to get started with them. To the point I was willing to breed unsatisfactory birds together just hoping something, anything!!, would hatch I could use as a starting point in that small, rare gene pool. Course as you opined it never happened.
As I found out repeatedly, sometimes one just had to take it as a life lesson, swallow the loss, cull everything and start over again.
That's tough, real tough when one has been waiting years for the stock. But it's the right thing to do because in the last analysis, it's not about us, it's about the breed.

Finally I listened when I started with the Light Sussex and started with "started birds". What a difference!! Worth every extra o
Penny I spent on them. I paid 50.00 each for the 3 birds the. Breeder raised for me. 150.00 to ship them to PA from Montana. Lovely show quality birds.
Now I am waiting for large fowl White Chanteclers. They will arrive in Aug. Will have been waiting for them about a year by then. They are a judicious blend of pure Eric Rivard and pure Greg Oakes. As you said, it is always worth it to wait and I have found that something good comes out of learning from mistakes and starting over again.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Well I think I am finally getting a handle on these white large fowl chanteclers

it's interesting because they're a recipe breed. it's known exactly how and when they were created and why . I'm starting to see that the differences in the birds are manifestations of the different breeds that made them up. so if you get too much Leghorn in the female , the body looks to shallow and narrow .
if you get too much wyandotte In the female the body looks too deep and the definition of the thighs tends to disappear.
if you don't get enough breast and too high of tail in the male, that's the Leghorn showing.
so I'm starting to understand that the ideal White chantecler is a balance all these different breeds. when I see a deviation from the ideal bird , what I'm seeing is the traits of one of these birds from the recipe showing itself off more than it should.
that's very interesting .I look forward to studying it further .
you all have a good day. Karen

Last edited:
I have Partridge hatching eggs and more hatches planned. I am NPIP - where are you located?

Shelly Oswald
Old Time Farm
Stoneboro, PA
814-786-7687

Hi Shelly,
how did you go about getting NPIP ?
I'm in Ligonier and inquired about it. they told me just not to try.
That it was too much money and too much paperwork in Pennsylvania because of all the extra regulations the Commonwealth had added to the basic NPIP program . did you find it to be that much of a pain? the lady told me just to forget about it. said she only had two people in her District ever get NPIP. The birds have to be 6 months old right ? so I've got six months before NPIP can happen.
Karen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom