Chantecler Thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickenrandomness, Sep 13, 2009.

1. ChicwannaB

ChicwannaB Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Munger, MICHIGAN
    Quote:Oh my, he is gorgeous!
    So here I am, with 3 Buff Chanteclers, 3 Red Chanteclers and NO rooster!
    Sigh....

I didn't know there were red ones...please show us a picture. I've only heard of white, partridge and buff, which I know isn't an accepted breed, but I love mine. So I do't care [​IMG] hahahahaha

2. toofarout

toofarout Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Sigh....

I can bring mine over, he's gorgeous and I'm sure he's up to the chore. He only has 12 wives... [​IMG]

Wonderful! But we should wait till April (or whenever spring happens) cause it's a wee bit too cold right now! [​IMG]
    [-9F at 11am this morning]

3. ChicwannaB

May 22, 2011
    Munger, MICHIGAN
    Quote:I can bring mine over, he's gorgeous and I'm sure he's up to the chore. He only has 12 wives... [​IMG]

Wonderful! But we should wait till April (or whenever spring happens) cause it's a wee bit too cold right now! [​IMG]
    [-9F at 11am this morning]

oh my goodness, I just saw you are in Fairbanks. Well, the Chante is supposed to do great in cold weather so we can test him out.

4. ChicwannaB

May 22, 2011
    Munger, MICHIGAN
    here's his face close-up..
    [​IMG]
    the flash makes his red areas look more magenta which they are not, it's nice bright red.

5. toofarout

toofarout Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Quote:Gee, he is so good looking I almost wish I was a chicken! [​IMG] OK, not really but the hens must surely love him.

Too bad for my girls that we live so far apart. [​IMG]

6. ChicwannaB

May 22, 2011
    Munger, MICHIGAN
    Quote:Gee, he is so good looking I almost wish I was a chicken! [​IMG] OK, not really but the hens must surely love him.

Too bad for my girls that we live so far apart. [​IMG]

the hens are much happier now that there's only one roo. and he's the happiest boy in town.

7. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm APA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Monticello, Arkansas
    Quote:He was using the exact formula that Br Wilifred used, except with Buff colored birds of those same breeds. Whites would have bleached out the color of buff.

8. Jake Levi

Jake Levi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    Harrisville, MI
    I saw that on the breeds, but figured if he came back on the F1s with a Buff roo he could have gotten the Buff along with the Chantecler. I am just curious, the Buff are certainly attractive and look like a Chante to me.

9. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Quote:WOW! He looks amazing! He was still so itty bitty and chick-like when I last saw him! Such a handsome mature boy [​IMG]

10. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Sigh....

I'm sure I'll be able to help you out with that, as I often hatch far more roos than pullets. I'll have some hatching in a few weeks, and by spring you should have a few to pick from if you'd like a Patridge.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by