Chantecler Thread!

Pics
We hatched out some Chantecler eggs, got two chicks out of it. Someone mentioned that a person can sex a Chantecler chick by their coloring. Does anyone here know about that and/or how/what to look for? Pics would help, if possible. Thanks!

We hatched out some Chantecler eggs, got two chicks out of it. Someone mentioned that a person can sex a Chantecler chick by their coloring. Does anyone here know about that and/or how/what to look for? Pics would help, if possible. Thanks!
What color are you dealing with? I'm not sure if this would apply to any color except Partridge. I have noticed the females are darker as chicks, and the males are lighter. (Particularly concerning the head) However, I'm not yet sure if this is 100% true with sexing my Partridges, let alone all of them. (I've only tested this with around 20 birds, after that I had to many hatching to keep track off) But, I have noticed the majority of the dark chicks are females.

As the age though the males in the partridge color will actually grow to be darker as the females, and will have more black in their feathering.

Last edited:
I was talking about Partridge. So hopefully that is correct, as I have one with a dark gold/brown head and one with a lite gold/yellow head.

This is Chanty, my friend's daugher named it. This chick is the has the lighter head color of the two.

This one is Claire, I named this one. Definitely darker on the head than the other. Definitely the calmer and friendlier of the two. So this may be the female of the two, according to what you have explained.

Hmmmm, now I just need to find someone who has some unrelated eggs, pullets or hens. I really like them, they seem much steadier than the other chicks that we have right now. Thanks for the information! Now I just have to wait and see if its right(sorry, but my Mottled Frizzle Cochin Pullet crowed the other afternoon, or at least attempted to, and some folks(not on here) swore he was a she!<grin>so even if it was a sure thing, I would still debate with myself over it.)

Incubator full of little chantecler's from Jim Hall. 2 eggs left to hatch setting in front, chicks behind....
thumbsup.gif

We shipped 7 eggs to Munger, Michigan from Monticello, Arkansas a few weeks ago. So glad to see chicks hatch from our eggs!

We are still taking orders for white Chanteclers.

Our White Chanteclers were acquired directly from Greg Oakes of Ontario, Canada at the Crossroads Joint National Poultry Show. They are very gentle. These were acquired for my Mother-In-Law, but she prefers red laying hens. So these are now back at our farm.

Greg Oakes keeps three strains of White Chanteclers. One is an old one from Ontario, a recent one from Quebec and the one Greg evolved off of the old Ontario strain. The Greg Oakes strain looks like the one in the standard. The old Ontario strain looks like it has more Cornish with a wide front end and shorter back and the Quebec one looks like it has Wyandotte influence with larger combs and wattles. The Chantecler is a composite.
These are of the “evolved” strain that looks like the one in the Standard of Perfection.

From http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/news/national/article/59712--poultry-enthusiasts-move-to-save-rare-canadian-chicken-from-extinction
Greg Oakes, who has been raising Chanteclers at his farm near Guelph, Ont., for more than 25 years, hopes the deal will trigger a similar initiative in Ontario, as well as other provinces.
He said the fowl would make ideal commercial poultry, especially compared with the mass-produced kind that are ready for the supermarket less than two months after they hatch.
"They're not raised at such a speed that they're prone to these health issues - they're not going to keel over and have a heart attack," said Oakes, who also serves as chair of Rare Breeds Canada, a group that works to conserve scarce breeds of heritage farm animals.
"Because they haven't been in cages for, like 30 years, they haven't had their natural instincts bred out of them.
"They still know how to be a chicken."

$(KGrHqJ,!qIE8WnQh994BPJNQ-y4B!~~60_3.JPG

$(KGrHqZ,!iIE8LNufJV7BPJNQo8tb!~~60_57.JPG

Incubator full of little chantecler's from Jim Hall. 2 eggs left to hatch setting in front, chicks behind....
thumbsup.gif

More great news, those 4 little chickies seen above have been dried off and are moved to the brooder, a check on the remaining 2 eggs....they are both chirping!!!! the minures tick tediously by.
jumpy.gif

Here's a more recent pic of the same babies I hatched from Jim Hall in post 675.

They are showing their white feathers coming in. Very pretty, but so far a very skittish little bird.

Back
Top Bottom