Chantecler Thread!

Pics
Hi all.

Being new to the breed in general I am trying to get caught up and I find there are quite a few things on my plate. It would help a great deal if someone could point me to a good source for how to breed the Buffs. I found information on how whites should conform readily enough.

Thanks!

I have almost decided what to do.

We're having serious frost bite issues this year and I was thinking I would go with Wyandottes to cross onto my Delaware hens. But they have fairly long wattles too. So, maybe I could cross some Chanteclers onto the Delawares and they'd be able to take the heat a little better?

Anybody have any ideas or suggestions in regard to this?

Nobody has any thoughts or ideas or suggestions on where I could pick up a male on short notice? I'd really prefer a pair but that might tempt me to raise them and my Andalusians are a big enough ($) project.

Does anybody have any opinions on the hatchery buffs and partridge chantecler stock from Ideal hatchery. Specifically lay rate, winter laying, egg size, etc?

I can only tell you what mine are doing
big_smile.png

They were hatched June 12, we got them June 14.

Dee started laying 11/28 at about 5 1/2 months. She was going pretty well through December - totaled 31 eggs in 52 days (through yesterday) but only 6 of those were laid in the 17 days of Jan.

Laura FINALLY started laying on 1/8, almost 7 months old. She has laid 4 eggs.

I haven't had my scale long so I don't know what the earlier eggs weighed but they are both laying 48 gram eggs, 3 grams shy of Medium.
Dee's are a shiny light brown, Laura's are a somewhat darker brown and matte.

Bruce

I can only tell you what mine are doing
big_smile.png

They were hatched June 12, we got them June 14.

Dee started laying 11/28 at about 5 1/2 months. She was going pretty well through December - totaled 31 eggs in 52 days (through yesterday) but only 6 of those were laid in the 17 days of Jan.

Laura FINALLY started laying on 1/8, almost 7 months old. She has laid 4 eggs.

I haven't had my scale long so I don't know what the earlier eggs weighed but they are both laying 48 gram eggs, 3 grams shy of Medium.
Dee's are a shiny light brown, Laura's are a somewhat darker brown and matte.

Bruce
thanks for the info Bruce. Anybody else have experience with Ideal Hatchery Chanteclers?

Back
Top Bottom