Chantecler Thread!

Pics
I've had both Orloffs and Delawares here in Alaska. I had breeder stock in the Dels and Welp hatchery stock in Orloffs. Even though I dealt with some frostbite on the roos in the Dels, their productive (number and size of eggs) blew the Orloffs out of the water. The Orloff eggs were small, they didn't seem to lay well through the winter as I had hoped, either, and egg numbers dropped DRAMATICALLY after the first year. I don't believe there is a great deal of consistency in either breed, so you might find lines that perform better or worse...that was just my experience. Single Combs are annoying in the North, but it's pretty low on my list of considerations now. Husbandry practices have way more to do with frostbite issues than comb size. (Most of the people I know that are serious about poultry up here are raising Orpingtons or Marans, case in point!)

Now, back on topic, I am really excited about what I'm hearing about the white Chanteclers. It sounds like they ARE what I had hoped the Orloff would be—an excellent dual-purpose breed uniquely adapted to our latitudes and climates. It's exciting to think that maybe I'm not taking on a huge insurmountable project, my goals are simply to steward and maintain and improve the finer points instead of beginning at the beginning.

That's a pretty cool feeling. :)

V-comb breeds like Houdan, La Fleche, Polish, Crevecouer and the like would do well in cold climates as well. The Chantecler with it's cushion comb is probably best brown egg laying dual purpose for that climate though,
X2 but you will find that most of these are not up to snuff as Haiku found out about other breeds which have been left to languish for too long. None of these birds are big enough or meaty enough anymore to really be dual.
I've had both Orloffs and Delawares here in Alaska. I had breeder stock in the Dels and Welp hatchery stock in Orloffs. Husbandry practices have way more to do with frostbite issues than comb size. (Most of the people I know that are serious about poultry up here are raising Orpingtons or Marans, case in point!)

I have not found this to be quite true. I hear people say that keeping the coop clean and aired is the trick but after talking with long term breeders of birds here, and trying a lot of failed things to help with the humidity, that just isn't the rule. Humidity in the coop is part of it but if you have a comb over an inch long forget keeping it in cold weather. Its not even logical to think you would. That thin little bit of flesh sticking out there? I had frost bite on me while covered up and out in the wide open air so... no large single combs or learn to dub your birds. People pick what they like and what works. Not everyone tries breed after breed to figure out what really meets both needs well. I have tried a fair number and I do my homework on each breed. I can't say enough about just a few breeds (but will admit that the RO is a favorite although it needs way more work than most other breeds.) Those breeds which hold up and are dual purpose, as in you can get more than a mouth full of meat off those breasts, and easy going... even pretty, are the Marans, Basque, Favorelle, JAVA and PC of course. Trully well bred Orps and Cochins and Brahmas are all big. Heck, I have some incredible BRP here out of Nelson lines, but they take forever to fill out and so far most of them is bone. If you are trying to homestead then you can't always wait those two years for them to meat up. JMO. These are all good reason why the Chantecler really is a sensible bird to keep.

Forgot my question. I am in a pinch. I have three cockerels here and I need to send someone to the freezer. Of the two up for chop one is wide but very orange and the other is dark but not as big. How do I choose?

Last edited:
The large SC of the Delaware is a minus for them, I intend to select for smaller combs, a long term goal, but, they are a major plus for temperament, and laying, plus of course very nice size for dressing out. All breeds have their plusses and minuses. I am looking for many good things in the Albertans, and next year the Chanteclers. My Icelandics are very hardy, some have rose combs but we also have pea combs, I will do some selection in the roosters away from single combs. They lay well, are superior rangers, and long lived and very hardy overal, as would be expected from a breed isolated so long in a cold harsh climate. I am actually expecting the Albertans to really give my other breeds strong competition. We shall see. I am expecting eggs from Rhoderunner in June and then begins the competition.

I know this is going to seem like sacrilege but I am crossing breeds for better cold tolerance as well as heat tolerance and meat production.

I started with Delawares last year. This past winter, several got frostbite on their combs. One rooster didn't so he is the one I bred from. I also picked up a pair of Wyandottes to get the rose comb and keep the size. For a large bird, they don't weigh very much. I'll be using them this year for the comb. I have a trio of young chanteclers now so next year I will be using them for better cold tolerance and improved weight/size over what the Wyandotte has brought in.

I know this is going to seem like sacrilege but I am crossing breeds for better cold tolerance as well as heat tolerance and meat production.

I started with Delawares last year. This past winter, several got frostbite on their combs. One rooster didn't so he is the one I bred from. I also picked up a pair of Wyandottes to get the rose comb and keep the size. For a large bird, they don't weigh very much. I'll be using them this year for the comb. I have a trio of young chanteclers now so next year I will be using them for better cold tolerance and improved weight/size over what the Wyandotte has brought in.

::shrug:: Why not skip the Wyandotte and the Delaware and work on improving the Chantecler? What are they bringing to the table that the Chantecler doesn't offer?

I don't know what they bring to the table. But I do know what the Delaware brings and I like it. I won't be able to eat Chanteclers this year as I only have 3 and they're still babies so I have to use what I have and work toward the Chantecler. I'm sure I'll get a taste of them by next fall and I'll see if I like them enough to go with just them. I don't have the room to raise them to the SOP and they will be in my yard bird pen with my mixed breed girls and I plan to keep two roosters when I get to that point. Part of the reason to have them is for egg sales and I want a variety of colors in the box.

Partridge chanteclers, I assume? Their ages will be a factor as the smaller one may kick it into high gear at some point if he is still pretty young. Does he have a wide head, and feet bigger than it seems like he needs? Is he gangly right now? He could still surprise you. The other thing to consider is the one you intend to keep. Do either of the other two have something he doesn't?

With four breeds this year I am going to invest in a set of scales to keep track of my roosters, I want to weigh them at four mos, and again at six mos, at that point all in excess of breeding needs go in the freezer. I am sure my Icelandics will be the lightest, and the Delawares among the heaviest. I have just a very few Delawares but at one year of age they are laying very well , nice big brown eggs, from large to a few extra large. I have a dozen in the incubator and will be doing another dozen soon, along with the Icelandics.

I am looking forward to receiving Albertan eggs from Rhoderunner in June, my Iowa Blue eggs will be hatching just about then. I am really glad that all of these breeds do look differently! I will be marking the eggs, but even so, its going to be close calls on some overlap hatches. It will all sort out.

This is going to be a really interesting year , or three in comparing these four breeds, NOT for which one is 'best' but what each has to offer as a homestead dual purpose breed. I am already pretty sure that each of these will have much to offer and have their proponets, and that the Albertan will standout in a number of ways.

I had some frostbite on several large single comb Icelandics last year, and will be selecting for rose comb for them. Single combs are pretty in heated chicken houses or southern states but an obvious disadvantage in the north. In any breed.

Happy hatching all, its going to be a fascinating year !

Jake

Back
Top Bottom