Chantecler Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodeRunner

There is a breeders directory at Chantecler Fanciers International's website.

The Breeders Directory is in the process of being updated. We do that each year about this time. Some of the info on the current listing is now outdated. The new one should be up within a few weeks.

White chicks are also available through Cackle Hatchery of Missosuri and Sandhill Preservation in Iowa.
Both have pretty decent stock. Sandhill tends to sell out for the year early in the season. Cackle is offering this breed for the first time, and has stock from a reputable breeder.

Last edited:
I know whites are meant as more of an egg layer- But I am so so happy to say that I have tracked down a strain that is being used by a local farmer for his meat birds. I can't wait to get my hands on it... I will be keeping track of growth the best I can and trying to improve on it.

I know whites are meant as more of an egg layer- But I am so so happy to say that I have tracked down a strain that is being used by a local farmer for his meat birds. I can't wait to get my hands on it... I will be keeping track of growth the best I can and trying to improve on it.

My feeling is that they should be a good dual purpose bird. Hens that are good layers and Roos that make a nice carcass. It's taken a few years, but I will have to say that the last few birds we butchered this fall had great carcasses. Tasty, too.

But if you look at the history of many "dual purpose" breeds you well find they are meant for laying or meat IE. Sussex are meant to a meat bird according to the old old old literature.

How old were they when butchered?

The old history on these always seems to be a starting point for controversy.
barnie.gif
But....having said that, Brother Wilfrid's aim was to create a chicken that was suited to the cold climate and could be used for meat and eggs. Of course, a lot of years have passed since then, and each person's individual breeding program is going to have genetic drift one way or another...Or, hopefully, it can satisfy both aims.

We use the hens for the bulk of our egg-laying flock, as we sell the eggs at a store in town. The cockerels go to the freezer as I cull through the year. They were butchered anywhere from 4 to 6 months, and weights were from 4 lbs. to around 7, with a couple somewhere over that, if I recall. Some of my mature breeding roosters are around 10 lbs. I had one line that showed quicker growth, although the ultimate mature size was smaller. I liked their breast meat configuration also. The hens from that group were smaller than I liked, with smaller eggs, but lay well and had nice breast meat. The birds that matured at a larger size also grew more slowly, and their breast meat was not as heavy, I guess you could say. Those hens lay large eggs and lay well. So, I'm working on combining the two.

We use most of the cull roosters for ourselves, but have a small number of people who buy birds from us because they just don't want the CornishX. They prefer the more flavorful and dense meat of these.

We are new to Chantecler's, and chickens really. I happen to have fallen upon finding Chantelcer's, my husband had read about them, but forgot their name when we started looking and then I found some for sale and we agreed they would fit our environment well (or should as it is what they were created for), we are in Alberta, Canada.

I picked some up and it turns out we mistakenly got a roo, actually 3 of the 6 are roos we think. However two don't seem to be a very good representation of the breed.

So I have 1 roo (possibly) and 1 hen that I think would be fairly good to mate, but I wanted to know what those who are more familiar with the breed think. They are just young right now, she has yet to lay and he is just starting to look at the ladies, they were born last summer.

We had no intentions of getting a rooster and having babies, but seeing it has happened we thought it might be nice. If it works out we will look at getting another hen or 2 from another flock to avoid inbreeding. I just got some pictures with my cell phone so they are not very high quality. They are also dirty as they were enjoying some dust. :)

Possible Rooster picture1

picture 2

picture 3

picture 4

picture 5

picture 6

Hen picture 1

Hen picture 2

Last edited:
Puzzle Piece,

I think they all look great but I am far from being an expert and attended only one show here in Michigan last fall to learn more about the white variety of Chantecler.
I learned all the wrong things from people exhibiting at that show regarding the breed apparently. I believe my bird is beautiful, but she was a rejected cull by her original breeder at birth for her comb only. The rest of her is beautiful and whether she would win ribbons? who knows --what is important is I find her a fantastic bird
smile.png
and was very interested in raising this breed for my first flock.

Join the Chantecler Fanciers club and they will instruct you on what the acceptable Standard is for the breed. Good luck.

I edited this from my original response due to it's incorrect information.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom