Chantecler Thread!

Look at the wing feathers growing in. Do they look white to you???
No they do not look white at all and not being a regular follower on this thread I probably missed that white chicks can be yellow but MUST have white wings.

If you say in a previous response Buff chicks are yellow and whites can be smokey white to yellow, that is a wide range all the way to YELLOW, which this chick definitely is. I noticed the wing color from the photo the seller sent of the "white" chicks for sale made me skeptical, that is why I thought to post to this thread seeking an opinion.

Thank you for your response.
Buff. White chicks would be a lighter yellow and would have white wings.
Thank you for that clarification RhodeRunner, I appreciate your kind response. I guess knowing that prior to asking would have been helpful
smile.png

Last edited:
I would not call that chick down yellow. It is a shade of gold (buff in chicken lingo). Actually, it was not me that said Buff chicks are yellow. If you get a chance, take a look at some White Leghorn chicks. Their's is an altogether different shade of color. It actually is light yellow.

I would not call that chick down yellow. It is a shade of gold (buff in chicken lingo). Actually, it was not me that said Buff chicks are yellow. If you get a chance, take a look at some White Leghorn chicks. Their's is an altogether different shade of color. It actually is light yellow.
That is correct, you did not "say" Buffs were yellow, I went by the photo you posted of the Buff chicks and the Partridge chicks. Since I figured the partridge ones were the chipmunk pattern, the others looked "yellow" in the photo. Thank you for clarifying that Buff is considered gold and not yellow in chicken lingo
smile.png

I will ask my question again. Do chanteclers come in Red? Thanks

As per poultry Standards (worded descriptions), any BREED (shape) may be any VARIETY (colour pattern mostly but sometimes difference in comb types, bearded/muffs or not, etc.).

So of course, the answer has to be YES!
big_smile.png

The beauty is that shape, general weight, and similar characteristics are what is used to define a Chantecler as the breed as per Standards of Perfection.

If you are choosing to ask what are recognized varieties in the breed of Chantecler, by American Poultry Association (APA) and the American Bantam Association (ABA), then the Chantecler was admitted to the American Class in White in 1921 and Partridge in 1935. ABA does not list the year of recognition but recognizes the bantam Chantecler in White and Partridge varieties.

There are self-Black Chants, and yes, some are working on recognition of the "self-" Buff variety here in North America. I have had the Buffs since 2008.

Males: Left to right, male hackles of Buff, Red and Partridge Chantecler Standards.​

What shape should a Chantecler female be?

What breed is this then?
lol.png

I made my own Reds by crossing the Buff and Partridge in 2009.

Chantecler Standard chicks - Left to right: Partridge, Red, and Buff.

Chantelcer Standard chicks - Left to right: Buff, Partridge and White.​

The Reds will not breed true because even in the e-series, the Buff is eWh and the Partridge is eb, so the F1's are eWh/eb amongst other colour differences.

Male - F2 generation. Redmond.​

Female - F1 generation. Medusa (May 2013 & Dec 2010).​

Feathers are different...down is a red and may also have grey slate (from the single dose of eb) colour. Similar to Buckeyes.​

Red Male Chantecler.

Tail feathers on some of the males are interesting...with a sort of coppery green sheen.

You will often get hybrid vigour when crossing varieties within a breed, so large birds would be expected. First generation Reds would make good terminal crosses for meat and good egg production layers.

Does that assist you in answering your question? Do you have Chanteclers yourself and why the interest in the Reds?

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

Tara, may I have permission to use a few of your photos in the CFI Newsletter? I had not seen photos of the Reds before, but I know that Ideal Hatchery and Sandhill Preservation both offer chicks. Yours seem similar to the New Hampshire color, not so much the Rhode Island Red color. Since there is no standard for them there is no "right" shade of color either.

Mike

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom