Chantecler Thread!

Pics
Thanks for the comments.

I don't think they have started to lay. I have found some pullet eggs left in random places, but I suspect they are all from the Delawares (and one EE) that are in the same pen. Nobody has been showing the least interest in the laying boxes. None of them show any interest in the roosting bar, either, they just huddle together in a corner at night.

The cockerel's comb has grown in the last month, it is bigger and redder than it used to be. I didn't realize how much until looking at these pictures again this morning.

As for mating, he appears to be getting better, though I do not know if he is getting the job done. Until the Chanteclers start laying, I don't really care. Good to get the practice in now, I guess, before it matters.

I just put 18 Large Partridge egg in the bator last night. My first hatch of these. I had my test hatch work well with 6 mutts. 50% hatch rate even though I was very rough on them, 25% humidity that whole time. I'll try to take care of these ones. I need a good hatch. Next batch wont be until June.

I'll be picking up a trio of proven Large Buff Chantecler tomorrow. Can't wait to see how they are doing.
Apparently they had a bout of illness last month and a hen died. I had planned a couple months of isolation anyway so it doesn't matter much.
We will see.

Here are some pics of my new WHITE Chanteclers.................
big_smile.png

BlackCreek113.jpg

Heres the noisey one i took out for pics
BlackCreek119.jpg

BlackCreek117.jpg

Quote:
Ohhhhhhhhhh, I have both of those, and they are about the same age as your babies! I got them from a breeder with a good reputation, so they should turn out nice. Maybe we can make a deal then!

Where did you find the whites? Where are you from?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom