Chantecler Thread!

Pics
I finally got my flocks started.

Picked up a trio of Buff on Sunday, and placed 18 Partridge eggs in the Bator last Friday.
No way to know how the hatch will go but the trio is a good start for buffs.

Here's the Roo.
IMG_3606.jpg
IMG_3610.jpg

And a pic provided previously by the person I got them from.
LorraineMcCurry_Buff_Chantie_Roo.jpg

Quote:
I don't know if you are interested in this or not ..... but, I was reading in the APA SOP book ... it says:

WING: Medium size, well-folded and carried without drooping; the points of primaries well covered by saddle feathers. Primaries and Secondaries-- broad and overlapping in natural order when wing is folded.

That picture you have appears to show a droopy wing; not at all covered by the saddle feathers. I have a couple Delawares like that. I put them in my cull pen, to assure I do not breed with that trait.

Last edited:
Thank you Kathy.
I will keep an eye on it.
Got to see how they are once I get them out of quarantine and into a proper run. Right now they are in a small tractor that makes it hard to take pictures.

I don't have a copy of the standard. That is something that I will need to look for soon.
These Buffs were the only ones in the province as far as I could find, so I took them all when the previous owners decided to get rid of them. The one hen has a comb that is too large as well, more like that of a Roo. I am getting some hatching eggs brought in in a couple of months to add to the numbers and hopefully can get a couple Roos from that group. I want to be able to start selecting my own.

I am open to any other thoughts and comments if anyone has any.

Here is one of my 2 1/2 week old chicks. Filling out nicely
IMG_3498.jpg

IMG_3500.jpg

They have grown out of the large tupperware brooder seen here. Moved to a larger brooder and they love the extra space
IMG_3493.jpg

They are a large egg that are light brown almost a pinky colour.

Those are some beautiful birds. Need to resist getting more already.......lol

Last edited:
OOps, I mean what size are the chickens, but it would be good to know if they lay a good sized egg, too. (Not thinking straight yet - haven't had enough coffee
sad.png
)

Back
Top Bottom