Chantecler Thread!

Pics
Quote:
awesome, i like my bantams, but the hen only hatched out 1 chick, and that turned out to be a rooster
sad.png

Quote:
I just picked up a buff cockerel from another BYC'er that had an extra. He's from Sandhill, nice looking kid. I'll get some pictures as soon as I get some batteries for the camera. (The BF took them for his xbox control!)

Anyway, he has a good little cushion comb and is nice and stocky, but has very light eyes and legs. I'll have to look up the standard for the Chante, even though I know buff isn't APA accepted. (right?) What color eyes do buff birds usually have? His are almost greenish-blue. I figure I will keep him with my hatchery buff brahmas and orloffs until I get good Orloff stock. Who knows, maybe the Chante/Orloff would be a good cross for an Alaskan utility farm bird.

Quote:
Chanteclers (white and partridge): Reddish Bay
Buff Orpingtons: Reddish Bay.
Buff Cornish: Pearl
Buff Laced Polish: Reddish Bay
Buff Brahma: Reddish Bay

Hm, ok, I would say his eyes are probably pearl then, which would make sense, as I suspect the Buff Cornish was used in developing the variety.

img_0677.jpg

This is Cheeto, AKA the Coca Cola Cowboy. I LOVE this cockerel!!!

img_0682.jpg

I need to get his hatch date, but I think it is about the same as my Delawares. He is a MEATY bird by comparison. Very wide, round, stocky. He has soft, loose feathers, almost like a Buff Orpington, but I am loving that cushion comb. His tail set seems rather low to me, I'm wondering if that is another throw back to the Cornish, like his pearl-colored eye? The second picture shows his tail about as high as I have ever seen it, usually it is lower.

All in all, I am happy with this bird so far and if I were considering getting into buff Chanteclers seriously I wouldn't be opposed to ordering a large batch from Sand Hill and selecting most of my foundation from there, if it were that or hatching eggs.

I've got a Partridge Chantecler that has been sitting on eggs for three weeks. Unfortunately, chances are good that at most one is actually hers.

A second Partridge Chantecler hen has been sitting on eggs for a week now. I doubt she laid any of the eggs she is sitting on (which is OK with me since she has poor penciling).

I'm not real optimistic about a hatch, when the first broody takes her daily walk and another hen hops on her clutch, she doesn't seem to mind. She always ends up back on the eggs, but I don't know how much time there is between when the wrong hen leaves and the right hens gets back on.

But, I am happy that there is broodiness in my Partridge Chanteclers. Next time it happens I will isolate early so that she can tend to her clutch by herself.

While I'm thinking about Chanteclers, does anyone know what became of the census project someone was undertaking?

Back
Top Bottom