Chantecler Thread!

Pics
You may have just solved a mystery for me. I have a Partridge Chantecler hen that is not Partridge...she looks a lot like your buff x partridge. Perhaps somewhere up the line, there was a Buff Chantecler in her ancestry.

Hey guys,

wanted to get your opinions on the overall health of red chanteclers. I know the color was developed at Ideal poultry - and that's where I got my bird, Riley.

I'm fairly certain Riley has some sort of heart defect. Her heart beats very fast, and I can feel it beating through her chest - I can't with any other birds in the flock. She acts fairly lethargic, but still talks, eats, etc

So, question is, are heart defects common in chanteclers/reds?

Thanks!

Quote:
Have never heard of this before in Chanteclers. I have some of Ideal's Buffs in adults and chicks and Reds in chicks. No issues. I would suspect a parasite or a something. Have you treated her with a wormer etc.?

We have our first Buff Chantecler Improvement Project chicks hatched today. Also our first Chantecler Bantam Project chicks. The large fowl chicks are Buff and though their sire is single comb, so far all five that have hatched are cushion combs.

The Bantam chicks are chipmunk marked like their mother, a Buckeye Bantam. Not sure, but they may come out as a Red. All have cuchion combs. Mother is a Buckeye Bantam, sire is a Buff Wyandotte Bantam.

47716_100_0420.jpg

Some of our Buff Chantecler pullets with some young Buff Ducks.
47716_image0448.jpg

Quote:
I have Buff Chantecler from Ideal and NONE have had those issues. I have ordered for three years now (just two the first year, five the second and now I have 25 chicks). I had one fantastic pullet last year, which I lost to a predator. The two males are very well mannered now, but last fall I separated them from the hens and pullets, they were chasing everybody and had no manners with the girls. Apparently a winter with two female turkeys improved their technique. I have them in with five pullets/hens and they are very well mannered and not at all aggressive. I was not sure the hens would like the ratio of males to females, but every body is getting on well. None have ever been aggressive with people. In fact they are all quite friendly.

Although my males are far from perfect (I'm using photos of white males as my targets) they are large and wide, have little cushion combs and as far as I can tell correct color. OK, the tails are horrible, they look like feather dusters! But since I'm more of a practical person when it comes to chickens I figure the tail won't effect meat or egg production so I can work on that. I'd also be happier if they had harder feathers that could shed water more efficiently. But over all I adore this breed, they are a great choice for someone who wants a cold hardy, calm, dual purpose breed.

Another thing I like about this breed - the people who raise them. Seems like a great group of folks. Many have a great deal of experience, and they tend to share their wisdom freely. They even debate topics productively!

I was told to go ahead and bring my hatchery stock chickens to a show. The person giving this advise said it is the best way to learn. You can ask other breeders to critique your birds, respectfully ask for the judges comments when they are finished judging and get to see other birds right next to your own so you can develop your eye.

With some breeds like the Buff Chantecler and Barred Hollands, we really have little choice than to get hatchery stock. Thankfully Ideal Poultry tries to breed to the Standard. Not for show quality, just as close as they can. So we have less work to do than if we were starting from scratch.

Quote:
Post a photo and lets see it.

Who did you get her from? Whose line is it?

I hatched her from eggs purchased from an individual through BYC forums, they are reportedly from stock purchased from Blehm in Michigan.

Here is a picture:

13544_b.jpg

And, while I'm at it, here are two pictures of my Partridge Chantecler hen.

13544_pc1.jpg

13544_pc2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom