Chantecler Thread!

Pics
Thats interesting, I have heard this about the colored varieties too, so that brings up the question of how long/old do they lay? They are certainly good sized birds. The whites look majestic.

The anticipation of waiting for my Chanteclers to start laying is KILLING me! That's an exaggeration of course. I also have 4 Buff Orpingtons 2 of which are laying now. It will be interesting to see how the two breeds differ in their winter laying. However, when it hits -40 and below I doubt anyone will want to lay, though the chants might surprise me. I'm very new to chickens and I'm having a wonderful time with them. :)

You are for sure going to be having colder then I will, but we expect it to hit -20 here, with a lot of snow, so I will have a heater under my chickens waterer and most likely a heat lamp. The winter temps here is a big one for looking at the Chanteclers, and in my case the Whites, developed for cold.

The lady in Vermont has a lot of articles etc on the yahoo Chantecler group, I have read some of it, very good.

Quote:
I would skip the heat lamp, at least for the Chanteclers. I have taken Old English Game bantams through the winter in -30 without heat or insulation, as long as there are no drafts and the humidity is good they will be fine. Keeps the breed hardy.

Ryan

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom