Chantecler Thread!

Pics
Anybody ever have a Chanty cock bird "guard" eggs??? Mine isn't setting like a hen, and is normally VERY sweet, but he gets mad at me when I collect eggs, even goes so far as to peck AND try to spur my arm when I reach into the nest box!! I have to use a gallon jug to block him (he started this before I starting using the jug, so it's not the jug he's going after, and he tries to get around the jug at my hand). Anyone ever seen this behavior before??

Well i havent experienced that in my chanits yet but i have in the silkies....i mixed the 4 chantis and 8 Ameraucana pullets in with the half dozen big girls went pretty well...I have to say those parti chantis are the friendliest chickens i have ever had ...right up there with the silkies.....cant wait for the eggs should be happening here soon.....

Quote:
We did pick out 2 as I have had to buy replacement roosters in the spring in the past and they are expensive when you have to do it that way...thanks for the advice....

Quote:
I think this guy was taken by a predator today...I found a pile of feathers that look like his and see no sign of him (nor do I hear him). Strange in that there were nearly a dozen bigger, slower, Freedom Rangers in the yard with him at the time.

This leaves me with just a single pullet of breeding quality. I think I may try the food-coloring-in-her-vent trick to see if I can single out her eggs and hatch a few. I guess it was time anyway, but I was going to wait until I had something else to go in the incubator at the same time.

Boy, that sure was a pretty roo. Sorry about your loss of your birds.

Been a while since I've been around. This roo survived the experience, guess he was just in hiding for a while.

I have five Partridge Chantecler chicks that this guy fathered. They're about 2 months old now. I think I can tell that there are 4 pullets and 1 cockerel -- a lucky ratio!

I'm planning on moving on to breeding with the next generation, so I'm ready to part ways with my Partridge Chantecler rooster, the one pictured in the quoted message above. If there is anyone somewhat nearby (I live in Southern Maine) who is breeding Partridge Chanteclers, I would be happy to donate my rooster to your program. If anyone wants to start breeding Partridge Chanteclers, I would consider selling this rooster with a Partridge Chantecler hen (but, she's really my favorite hen...I'd rather part with just the rooster).

He is a very mild mannered bird, has never been aggressive, is actually a bit of a wimp (as evidenced by the disappearance for a day when the predator came by).

I keep thinking that I would like to get white chanteclers but my white sussex are always dirty looking. I don't like aspect of a white chicken. Anyone else feel that way?????

Quote:
I hear you...even though its probably easier to get good SQ birds in white i find its so hard to keep them that bright white color you want without locking them up in a conditioning pen for their show season so partridge it is..i think the buffs are nice too I saw a few of them at the Nationals this year ...we will be sticking to the partridge tho as i love the color.

I don't have a real hard time keeping my Whites White............But when it comes show time you cant just wipe them off and go they need a full bath head to toe.

IMG_5432.jpg

IMG_5440.jpg

I will try and get some of them free ranging the yard

My mother-inlaw really likes her White Chantecler pair that we got from Greg Oakes at Crossroads. She is wanting more of them. Does anyone know who sells White Chantecler chicks or who would let a dozen or so eggs go. My wife wants us to get her some more.

Quote:
I think Sandhill has nice whites and maybe Jim Feagan as he had nice ones at the Ohio Nationals some were sandhills crossed with Greg Oakes i think.

Back
Top Bottom